[Elsnet-list] ELRA News - 2nd Language & Technology Conference
duclaux at elda.fr
Thu Nov 4 17:54:18 CET 2004
Apologies for multiple postings
2nd Language & Technology Conference:
Human Language Technologies as a Challenge
for Computer Science and Linguistics
April 21-23, 2005, Poznañ, Poland
You are kindly invited to participate in L&T'05, a conference
organized by the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science of
Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznañ, Poland. This will be held
in parallel to Infosystem Forum 2005 (April 19-21, 2005) and
the 36th Poznañ Linguistic Meeting (April 22-24, 2005).
The increasing importance of Human Language Technologies is
a challenge for both the computer science and linguistics communities
as these technologies become an ever more essential element of our
everyday technological environment.
Since Ajdukiewicz, Tarski, Turing and Chomsky (i.e. since the very
beginning of the Computer Age) these fields have influenced and
stimulated each other. Globalisation, as well as the recent and
planned enlargement of the European Union, has created a favorable
climate for the intensive exchange of novel ideas, concepts and solutions.
The Infosystem Forum plays an integrating role between computer
science research, industry and consumers.
The Poznañ Linguistic Meetings have a long tradition as a linguistics
exchange forum. This year we propose to add an explicitly technological
dimension to this meeting and promote the Human Language Technologies
face to the industrial Infosystem audience, linking to the results of
the very successful Language & Technology Awareness Days (Poznañ, 1995),
which served as a kick-off event for new HLT activities in Poland. We
therefore invite colleagues from across the world to share with us their
experience, recent results and new visions as well as to learn about our
*** CONFERENCE TOPICS & CALL FOR PAPERS ***
We invite the submission of original contributions.
The conference topics include but are not limited to:
* electronic language resources and tools
* formalisation of natural languages
* parsing and other forms of NL processing
* computer modelling of language competence
* NL user modelling
* NL understanding by computers
* knowledge representation
* man-machine NL interfaces
* NL application in robotics
* text-based information retrieval and extraction, question answering
* tools and methodologies for developing multilingual systems
* translation enhancement tools
* methodological issues in HLT
* prototype presentations
* intractable language-specific problems in HLT (for languages other
* HLT standards
* HLT as foreign language teaching support
* new challenge: communicative intelligence
* vision papers in the field of HLT
*** SPECIAL SESSIONS ***
Special sessions are planned:
- "In memory of Maurice Gross"
- "In memory of Antonio Zampolli"
Contributions strictly linked to their activities and/or life
Contributors are requested to contact the Chair (e-mail: vetulani at amu.edu.pl).
*** SPECIAL AWARDS FOR STUDENTS ***
Best papers authored by PhD students or regular students will be
distinguished by the L&T awards.
(details soon at the conference web site)
*** PROGRAMME COMMITTEE ***
- Zygmunt Vetulani (Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznañ, Poland) - chair
- Dafydd Gibbon (University of Bielefeld, Germany) - vice-chair
- Leonard Bolc (IPI PAN, Poland)
- Lynne Bowker (Ottawa University, Canada)
- Nicoletta Calzolari (ILC/CNR, Italy)
- Julie Carson-Berndsen (University College Dublin, Irland)
- Khalid Choukri (ELRA, France)
- Alain Colmerauer (Mediterranean University Aix-Marseille II, France)
- El¿bieta Dura (University of Goeteborg/Lexware Labs, Sweden)
- Katarzyna Dziubalska-Ko³aczyk (Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznañ, Poland)
- Tomaz Erjavec (Josef Stefan Institute, Slovenia)
- Charles Fillmore (Berkeley University, USA)
- Maria Gavrilidou (ILSP, Greece)
- Stefan Grocholewski (PTI/Poznañ University of Technology, Poland)
- Wac³aw Iszkowski (PIIT, Poland)
- Orest Kossak (Technical University Lviv/Ericpol Telecom, Ukraine)
- Eric Laporte (University Marne-la-Vallee, France)
- Gerard Ligozat (LIMSI/CNRS, France)
- Bente Maegaard (Centre for Language Technology, Denmark)
- Jacek Martinek (Poznañ University of Technology, Poland)
- Toyoaki Nishida (University of Kyoto, Japan)
- Antoni Ogonowski (Renault SAS, France)
- Nicholas Ostler (Linguacubun Ltd., UK)
- Karel Pala (Masaryk University, Czech Rep.)
- Pavel S. Pankov (National Academy of Sciences, Kyrgyzstan)
- Marcin Paprzycki (Oklahoma State University, USA)
- Reinhard Rapp (University Mainz, Germany)
- Justus Roux (University of Stellenbosch, South Africa)
- Vasile Rus (University of Memphis, Fedex Inst. of Technology, USA)
- Max Silberztein (University Franche-Comté, France)
- Krzysztof Slata³a (MTP/Infosystem, Poland)
- Marek Swidziñski (University of Warsaw, Poland)
- Dan Tufiº (RCAI, Romania)
- Tom Wachtel (Independent Consultant, UK/Italy)
- Jan Wêglarz (Poznañ University of Technology, Poland)
- Richard Zuber (CNRS, France)
*** PAPER SUBMISSION ***
Papers describing essential results (ideas, claims, hypotheses)
are due by January 15, 2005 (midnight, any time zone).
Submissions should be prepared according to the AAAI formatting
and should not identify the author(s) in any manner.
Acceptance will be based on the reviewers' assessments.
Acceptance/rejection notification will be by February 7, 2005.
All submissions are to be made electronically via the L&T web
submission/registration system (accessible soon).
Accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings
(with ISBN number) and on CD-ROM.
We plan a post-conference journal publication of extended versions
of the selected papers (further details available soon).
The presentation of a paper requires L&T registration by at least
one of the authors. In the case of several co-authors being
registered, student co-authors register free.
*** CONTACT ***
The 2nd Language & Technology Conference (L&T'05)
Adam Mickiewicz University
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
Department of Computer Linguistics and Artificial Intelligence
ul. Umultowska 87
PL 61-614 Poznañ
Email: ltc at amu.edu.pl
*** SECRETARIAT ***
- Maciej Lison (Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznañ, Poland)
- Jacek Marciniak (Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznañ, Poland)
- Tomasz Obrêbski (Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznañ, Poland) - secretary
*** IMPORTANT DATES/DEADLINES ***
January 15, 2005
Deadline for submission of papers for review (4 pages including essential
results, ideas, claims, hypotheses)
February 7, 2005
March 15, 2005
Deadline for submission of final versions of papers accespted
*** CONFERENCE FEES ***
Early registration (payment by January 15, 2005) 80 EUR
Regular registration (payment by March 20, 2005) 100 EUR
Late registration (payment after March 20, 2005) 130 EUR
Early registration (payment by January 15, 2005) 40 EUR
Regular registration (payment by March 20, 2005) 50 EUR
Late registration (payment after March 20, 2005) 65 EUR
Students (full-time): 5 EUR (on-site payment)
Conference fees include:
* Proceedings on CD-ROM (paper copies will incur an additional charge)
* Social events (banquet,...)
* Regular participants and PhD students registered to the PLM
by March 20 for the full conference may register to the L&T
for 20 EUR or for 50 EUR in the case of late registration.
This discount does not apply to those who wish contribute
a paper to L&T and to one day PLM participants. If you
register to both conferences using our (L&T) registration
procedure you are recommended to use our payment procedure
as well. In that case you will pay our discount fee of 20 EUR or
50 EUR augmented by the applicable PLM fee, i.e.
- 20+100 EUR for regular participants,
20+50 EUR for PhD students
if paid by March 20,
- 50+100 EUR for regular participants,
50+50 EUR for PhD students
if paid after March 20.
* Participants whose papers are accepted at both L&T and PLM
conferences will be eligible for a special discount for both
events if the payement is made by March 20. In this case
the conference fee will be 130 EUR for regular participants
and 70 EUR for PhD students (total for both conferences).
*** PAYMENT ***
By bank transfer to the account of:
"Uniwersytet im. Adama Mickiewicza w Poznaniu,
ul. H. Wieniawskiego 1,
to the account:
Number: PL 77 1090 1362 0000 0000 3601 7903
Bank: Bank Zachodni WBK SA 6 Oddzia³ w Poznaniu
60-967 Poznañ, Plac Wolnosci 15
For payments from within Poland, use the following account number:
77 1090 1362 0000 0000 3601 7903
Important: ensure you include the name of the conference and your own name
as part of the payment reference.
By credit card: (procedure to be announced soon).
*** REGISTRATION ***
Registration will be exclusively by internet (details soon).
All participants, irrespective of category or mode of payment, are
requested to register in order to qualify for the receipt of conference
Electronic registration must be completed by April 1, 2005 for
those who wish having their names included in conference documents.
*** EXHIBITIONS ***
* Book exhibition planned (call for exibitors in preparation)
* Authors are invited to bring hard copies of their papers and
books. We plan special presentations of the achievements of
the conference participants, irrespective of whether they are
directly related to the conference topic.
*** CALL FOR SPONSORS ***
Please visit the L&T web site: http://www.ltc.amu.edu.pl
For further information (accomodation, practical information)
please visit the L&TC web site: http://www.ltc.amu.edu.pl
More information about the Elsnet-list