[Elsnet-list] VOICE AND EMOTIONS: 2005 Conference

Krzysztof Izdebski Dr kizdebski at pvsf.org
Fri Nov 5 07:46:07 CET 2004

Please Post this Announcement

Dear Colleagues:

We are in the final process of securing the faculty for the upcoming
(March, 10-12, 2005) Pacific Voice & Speech Foundation’s (PVSF) First
Annual International Workshop on EMOTIONS in VOICE, organized
co-jointly with PIXAR Animation Studios of Emeryville, California, USA.

The purpose of this conference is to discuss production/perception of
emotions contained in the human voice with application to cartoon
character development.  The workshop focuses on how vocal emotions are
produced, how the emotions are perceived by the general audiences, how
to secure the production of intended emotions, what are the minimal
cues defining specific vocal emotions, how are these emotions produced
by live and virtual actors, what is the impact of cartoon voices on the
audiences in cross-cultural, gender and age context, and how production
of expected vocal emotions is hindered by a diseased larynx. A wide and
complex area, but how exciting of a project!

We are very impressed by your and your group’s work on the subject of
vocal quality and emotions.  We trust that you find this workshop as
fascinating as we do, and that you will choose to participate, to
present and to teach, to interact and to form new connections, and to
find, as we did, new intellectual avenues and challenges.

We are inviting you to submit a 10-15 minute presentation on your
favorite voice quality-emotion topic for inclusion in the program
comprising live demonstrations, lectures, computer simulations, virtual
production aspects, psycho-perceptual evaluations, neurophysiology of
vocal emotions, voice quality issues, social aspects of voice quality
impact on children and adults, cross-cultural localization of
non-native language percepts, and synchronization of voice quality
attributes with facial and body movements. The long-term challenge of
these meetings is to provide the entertainment industry with a
scientific basis of voice quality attributes and the potential impact
vocal emotions have on world-wide audiences.

We will meet at the PIXAR facilities providing the speakers and the
audience with a truly unique experience, ambiance, and a chance to
visit the most advanced animation technical facilities and the creators
of Oscar winners.
As you know, PVSF (www.pvsf.org) just completed another successful
annual clinical voice conference (#15), yet we are very excited by this
new avenue of PVSF activity and thr launching of cooperation between
science and the entertainment industry, with PIXAR as the co-partner.
Please contact us regarding your participation as soon as possible.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dr. Krzysztof Izdebski
Chairman, PVSF
Chairman, PVC
Board of Directors, the World Voice Consortium
Randy Nelson,
Dean, PIXAR University