[Elsnet-list] CHI 2005 workshop on Multi-party Interaction

Nijholt, A. (Anton) A.Nijholt at ewi.utwente.nl
Tue Nov 16 20:08:48 CET 2004

THE VIRTUALITY CONTINUUM REVISITED

Workshop at ACM CHI 2005, Portland
Sunday, April 3, 2005

ORGANIZERS
Anton Nijholt, University of Twente, Enschede, the Netherlands
David Traum, Institute for Creative Technologies, Marina del Rey, USA

CALL FOR POSITION PAPERS

More and more we see the need to model multi-party interaction in the interface. Interactions take place in environments rather than in the traditional human-computer interface and multiple actors are involved, both human and non-human. The environments, e.g. a smart meeting room or a desktop storytelling environment, require the modeling of multimodal interaction: interactions between human users, objects, and agents that represent human users or that otherwise have been designed to play roles in the environment.

The concept of the virtuality continuum was introduced by Milgram and Kishino in 1994. It describes a continuum from full reality (without computer-generated stimuli) to full virtuality (all stimuli are computer-generated). In this workshop we investigate multi-party interaction from the point of view of this continuum. This means verbal and nonverbal interaction modeling and it means modeling humans and virtual humans interacting simultaneously. The virtual humans can be fully synthesized and autonomous, they can real-time represent humans that remotely visit, meet or work in the environment, or they can be in between.

This workshop aims to:

* Discuss multi-party interaction modeling. This modeling needs to take into account temporal and spatial characteristics of interaction in environments. In particular we need to discuss models that integrate theories from linguistics and nonverbal communication.

* Identify problems related to multi-party interacting in the continuum; fusion and fission of information for interaction of agents and their human partners; annotation schemes for multi-party interaction modeling, etc.

We encourage participation from a wide range of disciplines including HCI, Social Psychology, AI and NLP. The workshop will be limited to 18 participants. The format includes presentations by participants and discussions.

Submit a 2-4-page position paper outlining your interest to anijholt at cs.utwente.nl by 3 January 2005. Notification of selection is by 31 January 2005. For regularly updated information about the workshop visit http://hmi.ewi.utwente.nl/conference/CHI2005