[Elsnet-list] Job opening: Dialogue system developer (in Saarbruecken, Germany)

Ivana Kruijff-Korbayova korbay at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE
Wed Nov 16 14:28:41 CET 2005

JOB OPENING FOR A DIALOGUE SYSTEM DEVELOPER

The Department of Computational Linguistics, Saarland University, in
Saarbruecken, Germany, is seeking to fill a research position for a
dialogue system developer in the context of TALK, an EU-funded
research project in the area of developing flexible and adaptive
multimodal dialogue systems in the information-state update paradigm.
Within the TALK project, our group is concentrating on flexible
dialogue management based on collaborative problem solving, and
contextually adaptive system output presentation.  For more
information about the TALK project see http://www.talk-project.org/

An ideal candidate will have a degree in computational linguistics or
similar area, solid Java programming skills, and previous experience
in building interactive systems based on natural language
conversation. Highly valued personal qualities include creativity,
open-mindedness, team spirit and leadership abilities.  We
particularly invite applicants with a completed Ph.D. degree or
comparable level of experience, although applicants who have
completed an M.Sc. (or equivalent) degree only recently are also
welcome if they have the required qualifications.

The earliest starting date of the position is January 2006.  The
initial duration of the contract will be until December 2006, which
may be renewed, contingent on continuing funding.

The salary will be in the BATIIa category according to German tariff
conditions, which means a monthly salary ranging between approx. 2500
and 3800 Euro (subject to approx. 30-40% deduction for tax and
health- and social-insurance); the exact salary will depend on
qualifications as well as age and marital status (we can provide more
precise information upon inquiry).

Applications should be sent by 1 November 1 2005. We will consider
also applications arriving after this date until the position is filled.
When applying, please send your CV, list of publications, research
interest summary, statement of interest in the TALK project and at
least three references.

Please send electronic applications (preferably in PDF format) and
inquiries to jobs-cl2 at coli.uni-sb.de  Hard copies can be sent to the
address below.

Ivana Kruijff-Korbayova
Dept. of Computational Linguistics and Phonetics
Saarland University
Postfach 15 11 50
D-66041 Saarbruecken
Germany

Saarland University strives to increase involvement of women in this
research area, and therefore encourages women in particular to apply.
Persons with disabilities will be given priority in case of equal
qualification.

For more information about the Department of Computational
Linguistics and Phonetics see http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/. The TALK
project is carried out in the group of Prof. Manfred Pinkal.  Within
the TALK project, we cooperate very closely with DFKI, Bosch and
BMW.  Other partners with whom we have been cooperating in TALK or in
other research activities include for example Edinburgh University,
Gothenburg University, and the University of California at Berkeley.

For more information about Saarland University see http://www.uni-
saarland.de/

For more information about Saarbruecken see http://www.saarbruecken.de/

For more information about the Saarland see http://www.saarland.de/