[Elsnet-list] 2 Research Positions at NII

Nigel Collier collier at nii.ac.jp
Tue Apr 18 11:32:10 CEST 2006

2 Postdoctoral Research Positions

National Institute of Informatics, Japan

The National Institute of Informatics (NII) invites applications for two
researchers at the postdoctoral level in the field of information extraction
and text mining (major application areas are biology and medicine). The
positions have a minimum duration of one year (until end of March 2007) with
a possibility of extension to three years and can be filled immediately.
Salary and conditions are calculated according to qualifications based on
the NII standard pay scale.

In the BioCaster project our work focuses on developing and integrating
natural language processing modules for extracting information related to
disease outbreaks from general news texts for information access by public
health experts. Skills in one or more of the following areas are necessary:
text mining, computational linguistics, natural language processing and
knowledge engineering. Familiarity with the biomedical domain will be an
advantage.

The posts:

(1) The first post is focused on ontology/terminology engineering and will
contribute to the creation of a multilingual database of terminology for
describing disease outbreaks. The project will involve exploiting existing
terminological and ontological resources as well as liaising with
cooperating groups in Japan, Thailand and Vietnam.

(2) The second position will contribute to the creation of a text mining
system for understanding disease outbreaks in news texts including the
development and integration of language technology for information
extraction.

NII offers an attractive and stimulating working environment in a
state-of-the-art building. We are located close to the Imperial palace in
the centre of Tokyo. Our team enjoys a pleasant working atmosphere and we
strive for high international research standards.

The positions require a PhD and are available now and will remain open until
filled. Interested applicants should send an email and their CV to the
address below. Informal enquiries are also welcome.

Nigel Collier

Associate Professor

National Institute of Informatics

2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku