[Elsnet-list] Job in natural language processing at Nuance
Holger.Quast at nuance.com
Thu Apr 5 16:11:31 CEST 2007
In order to strengthen our Embedded ASR Research team, we have created
an opening for a:
RESEARCH ENGINEER NATURAL LANGUAGE TECHNOLOGY
As part of our team, you will be creating speech technologies for
embedded applications varying from simple command and control up to
natural speech dialogue on mobile and automotive platforms.
- You will work in Nuance's Embedded ASR research and production team,
developing technology, tools and runtime software to enable our
customers develop and test embedded speech applications.
- You will work at Nuance's International Headquarters in Merelbeke, a
small town just 5km away from the heart of the picturesque city of
Ghent, in the Flanders region of Belgium. Ghent has one of the most
spectacular historic town centers of Europe and is known for its unique
vibrant yet cozy charm.
- You will work in an international company and cooperate with people on
various locations such as Burlington (USA), Tel Aviv (Israel) and Aachen
(Germany). You may occasionally be asked to travel.
- You will work on the development of cutting edge speech recognition
prototypes on PCs as well as embedded platforms, and products for
automotive platforms and mobile devices. You will help the engine
process multi-lingual natural and spontaneous speech in various noise
conditions, given the challenging memory and processing power
constraints of the embedded world.
- Design, implementation, evaluation, optimization and testing of new
algorithms and tools for our speech recognition systems, both for
research prototypes and products, with a strong focus on natural
- You have a university degree in computer science, engineering,
mathematics, physics, computational linguistics, or a related field.
- Very strong software and programming skills are required. Especially
in C/C++, ideally for embedded applications. Knowledge of Python is a
plus. GUI programming experience is a plus.
- Experience with XML processing is a plus.
- A good understanding of statistics and machine learning techniques is
- A background in (computational) linguistics, speech recognition,
grammars, and parsing techniques is an asset, especially as related to
natural language processing, semantics, and representation of meaning.
- Knowledge of dialogue systems design is a plus.
- You are a team player, willing to take initiative, and are goal
- You have a strong desire to make things really work in practice, on
hardware platforms with limited memory and processing power.
- You are fluent in English and you can write high quality
- Knowledge of other languages is a plus.
Dr. Holger Quast Holger.Quast at Nuance dot com
Nuance is the leading provider of speech and imaging solutions for
businesses and consumers around the world. Every day, millions of users
and thousands of businesses experience Nuance by calling directory
assistance, requesting account information, dictating patient records,
telling a navigation system their destination, or digitally reproducing
documents that can be shared and searched. With more than 2000
employees worldwide, we are committed to make the user experience more
enjoyable by transforming the way people interact with information and
how they create, share and use documents. Making each of those
experiences productive and compelling is what Nuance is about.
More information about the Elsnet-list