[Elsnet-list] First NLG Challenge on Generating Instructions in Virtual Environments

Alexander Koller a.koller at ed.ac.uk
Fri Apr 4 16:54:04 CEST 2008

First NLG Challenge on Generating Instructions in Virtual Environments

		  Part of Generation Challenges 2009
		    Endorsed by SIGGEN and SIGSEM

			CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

	  http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/v1akolle/proj/give/

OVERVIEW
--------

Evaluating natural language generation systems is a notoriously hard
problem: Unlike NL interpretation, where annotated corpora may provide
a gold standard against which a system can be measured, there are
generally multiple equally good outputs that an NLG system might
produce.  On the other hand, access to human experimental subjects who
could judge the quality of the system's output is usually too
expensive for large-scale use.  Nevertheless, there has recently been
an increased interest in shared tasks and new methodologies for
evaluating and comparing NLG systems.

We invite participation in the first installment of the Challenge on
Giving Instructions in Virtual Environments (GIVE).  In this scenario,
a human user must perform a certain game-like task in a virtual 3D
environment.  The NLG system's job is to generate, in real time, a
sequence of natural-language instructions that will help the user in
performing this task.  Users will connect to the system over the
Internet; they will then be shown the generated instructions and
attempt to solve the task by following these instructions.  The
system's performance will be evaluated with respect to such measures
as average task completion accuracy, speed, and efficiency.  Because
the user and the system don't need to be physically in the same place,
access to experimental subjects over the Internet becomes easy, and we
anticipate high numbers of evaluation runs per system.

To get a better idea of how this works, we invite you to try a
prototype for yourself at the following address:

       http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/v1akolle/proj/give/

The GIVE challenge is a theory-neutral, end-to-end evaluation effort
for NLG systems.  It involves research opportunities in text planning,
sentence planning, realization, and situated communication.  One
particularly interesting aspect of situating the generation problem in
a virtual environment is that spatial and relational expressions will
play a bigger role than usual.

In this first installment, we would like to particularly invite
contributions from students and student teams, but contributions from
anyone who is interested are welcome as well.  All participating
systems will be evaluated, and the results will be compared at a
workshop in 2009.  We anticipate making the GIVE challenge an ongoing
event and repeating it in regular intervals.

THE CHALLENGE
-------------

During the evaluation period of the challenge, each participating team
will run their NLG system as a server at their own institution.  We
will provide a central website from which users can start the 3D
client with which they can move around in and manipulate the virtual
environment.  Clients will connect over the Internet to a central
matchmaking service which we provide as well.  This service will then
distribute them randomly over the participating NLG systems.  After
each evaluation run, a log of this run will be stored in our database.
These logs will then be evaluated with respect to the NLG system's
performance, and can be replayed for future analysis.

The NLG systems will have complete symbolic information about the
world and the task.  We will also provide easy access to a planning
system to enable the NLG system to compute the sequence of actions
that the user must perform.

We will provide each participating team with a complete package
including software, demo worlds, and documentation, by May 1.  The
evaluation will then take place over a period of three months next
winter, from October 1 to December 31.  We will analyze the logs early
in 2009 and distribute the results to the participants.  In Spring
2009, we will organize a workshop where participants can present their
results and experiences.  At this workshop we will also discuss ways
in which the GIVE challenge can be further improved and refined.

If you or your students are interested in participating in the
challenge, please send us an e-mail at a.koller at ed.ac.uk.

You can find further information about the challenge in the following
document, which reports on the GIVE working group at the Workshop for
Shared Tasks and Comparative Evaluation in NLG, which took place in
April 2007 at Arlington, VA.

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/v1akolle/papers/stec-report-07.pdf

IMPORTANT DATES
---------------

1 May                     materials distributed to participants
1 October - 31 December   evaluation period
Early 2009                results distributed to participants
Spring 2009               workshop

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

Donna Byron, Northeastern University
Alexander Koller, University of Edinburgh
Johanna Moore, University of Edinburgh
Jon Oberlander, University of Edinburgh
Kristina Striegnitz, Union College

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.