[Elsnet-list] CFP: SIGIR 2008 Workshop on Analytics for Noisy Unstructured Text Data

L V Subramaniam lvsubram at in.ibm.com
Mon Apr 7 10:28:48 CEST 2008

AND08: Second Workshop on Analytics for Noisy
Unstructured Text Data
<http://and2008workshop.googlepages.com/>
Singapore, July 24, 2008

Held in conjunction with ACM SIGIR-2008 <http://www.sigir2008.org/>
the 31st Annual ACM SIGIR Conference, July 20-24, 2008

This workshop is the Second of a successful series, it follows:

            AND07 (IJCAI 2007, Hyderabad, India)

*Call for papers*

Noise in text can be defined as any kind of difference between the
surface form of a coded representation of the text and the intended,
correct, or original text. By its very nature, noisy text warrants
moving beyond traditional text analytics techniques. Noise
introduces challenges that need special handling, either through
new methods or improved versions of existing ones. After the highly
successfull AND 2007 that was part of IJCAI 07, in this second
edition that is part of SIGIR 08, we hope to add the Information
Retrieval communities perspective to this topic.

We invite you to submit your own unique perspective on this
important topic. We are pleased to note that selected papers
from the first AND workshop -- held in January 2007 at the IJCAI
conference in Hyderabad, India -- appeared in a special issue of
the International Journal of Document Analysis and Recognition
published by Springer less than a year after the workshop date.
We intend to continue this tradition by arranging a journal special
issue for papers from this latest AND workshop.

Topics of Interest (not limited to):

*Information Retrieval and Information Extraction on noisy texts

*IR-related tasks (classification, clustering, genre recognition,
document summarization, keyword search,…) on noisy texts

*Formal models for noise, characterization and classification of
noise

*Treatment of noisy data in special application fields
---Historical Texts
---Blogs
---Chat logs/SMS
---Social Network Analysis
---Patent Search
---Optical Character Recognition
---Automated Speech Recognition

*Data sets, benchmarks and evaluation techniques for analysis of
noisy texts

Submission Format:

We invite papers up to 8 pages in length in the style specified at
http://and2008workshop.googlepages.com/submission
This is the same as the SIGIR format.
There will also be a Best Student Paper Award. Papers with a student
as the primary author/presenter will be eligible for this award.

Important Dates:

Paper Submission: May 16, 2008
Notification of Acceptance: Jun 6, 2008
Camera-Ready papers due: Jun 20, 2008

Accepted papers will be selected for Oral or Poster
presentation at the workshop. All accepted papers will
be published in the workshop proceedings.

Limited financial support will be available for student authors.

Organizing Committee

Daniel Lopresti, Lehigh U.
Shourya Roy, IBM Research
Klaus U Schulz, U of Munich