[Elsnet-list] IWCS-8 Second Call for Papers

harry bunt Harry.Bunt at uvt.nl
Tue Jul 1 17:26:02 CEST 2008

--
Harry Bunt
Chair of Language and Information Science
Head, Department of Communication and Information Sciences
Faculty of Humanities, Tilburg University
P.O. Box 90153, 5000 LE Tilburg, Netherlands
phone: +31-13.466.81.18 (secretary Femke Wieme)
fax: +31-13.466.29.92
http://let.uvt.nl/general/people/bunt/

-------------- next part --------------
 Apologies for multiple copies ]

                         Eighth International Conference on

                         COMPUTATIONAL SEMANTICS

                             (IWCS-8)

             January 7-9, 2009, Tilburg, The Netherlands

                            -------------
                             Endorsed by SIGSEM,
        the ACL Special Interest Group in Computational Semantics

                            -------------

                FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS

Tilburg University will host the Eighth International Conference on
Computational Semantics (IWCS-8), which will take place on 7-9
January 2009. The aim of the conference is to bring together
researchers interested in any aspects of the computation, annotation,
extraction, and representation of meaning in natural language, in
multimedia objects, and in spoken, written, or multimodal dialogue.

               |            INVITED SPEAKERS	            |
               |                                            |
               |               Martha Palmer                |
               |                Ido Dagan		    |
               |             Massimo Poesio		    |

                                 TOPICS OF INTEREST

Areas of special interest for the conference will be computational
aspects of semantic theories; semantic annotation of natural
language and multimodal utterances; and theoretical aspects of
the design and implementation of  language understanding systems
and systems for spoken, written, or multimodal dialogue.
Papers are invited that are concerned with topics in these and
closely related areas, including, but not limited to, the following:

  * construction of representations of meaning in natural language
  * methodologies and practices for semantic annotation
  * approaches and achievements in textual entailment
  * modelling and using context in semantic interpretation

  * the semantics of semantic annotation
  * machine learning of semantic structures
  * informal and formal approaches to semantics and their combination
  * semantics and ontologies

  * the semantics and pragmatics of dialogue acts
  * construction and use of underspecified semantic representations
  * semantic aspects of language generation
  * computing meaning in multimodal interaction

  * the semantic web and natural language processing
  * the semantics-pragmatics interface in computational perspective
  * semantic relations in discourse and dialogue
  * shallow and deep semantic processing and reasoning

                   ISO/SIGSEM JOINT WORKING GROUP MEETING

Immediately preceding IWCS-8, on 5-6 January 2009, a joint meeting
will be held of the ISO TC 37/SC 4 Working Group on Semantic
Content, and the ACL SIGSEM Working Group on the Representation
of Multimodal Semantic Information. This meeting will be open to
IWCS-8 participants. For more information see
http://let.uvt.nl/research/ti/iso-tdg3 and
http://let.uvt.nl/research/TI/sigsem/wg

                       PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

              James Allen            		Alexander Koller
              Ron Artstein			Emiel Krahmer
              Patrick Blackburn      	        Alex Lascarides
              Johan Bos              		Kiyong Lee
              Harry Bunt (chair)     		Paul Mc Kevitt
              Nicoletta Calzolari    		Dan Moldovan
              Jae-Woong Choe		        Reinhard Muskens
              Robin Cooper           		Martha Palmer
              Kees van Deemter       	        Manfred Pinkal
              Jan van Eijck          		Massimo Poesio
              Anette Frank 			Steve Pulman
              Dafydd Gibbon          		Alan ramsay
              Jerry Hobbs            		Laurent Romary
	      Ed Hovy			        Patrick Saint Dizier
              Daniel Kayser          	        Carl Vogel

                         ORGANISING COMMITTEE

              Harry Bunt         		Reinhard Muskens
              Johan Bos         		Olga Petukhova
              Marieke van Erp          	        Stephen Pulman
              Jeroen Geertzen  		        Elias Thijsse
              Lauraine Sinay (secr.)

                       SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

Three types of submission are solicited: full papers, short papers,
and project abstracts.

Full papers
-----------
Full papers are original papers of maximally 12 pages, that will be
published in the conference proceedings and will have a full oral
presentation of about 30 minutes at the conference.

Short papers/posters
----------------------------
Short papers are maximally 4 pages long, will be published in the
conference proceedings, and will have a very brief ('flash') oral
presentation at the conference. Authors of short papers are
invited to also put up a poster and participate in a poster session.

Project abstracts
-----------------
Project abstracts are brief descriptions of 2 pages of ongoing,
recently completed, or starting projects. They will be published in
the conference proceedings and will be presented as a poster during
a poster session.

Submission formats
------------------
Submissions of all three types should be in postscript or pdf
format and prepared with LaTeX; see the IWCS-8 website
http://let.uvt.nl/research/ti/sigsem/iwcs/iwcs8 for more
information on the style files to be used. The page limits
presuppose standard 11 point Computer Modern font. Final versions
of accepted contributions will have to be submitted as LaTeX
source files to facilitate publication of the proceedings; we also
aim at publishing a selection of accepted papers in book form
after the conference.

Email your postscript or pdf file to: computational.semantics at uvt.nl

Submission deadlines
--------------------
For full papers the submission deadline is 25 September 2008; for
short papers and project abstracts the deadline is 1 November.

                           IMPORTANT DATES

  1 October     2008 Submission of full papers
  27 October    2008 Notification of acceptance (full papers)
  1  November   2008 Submission of short papers and project abstracts
  10 November   2008 Notification of acceptance (short papers and
                     project abstracts)
  17 November   2008 Final papers due (all types of submission)
  1 December    2008 Deadline for early registration
  5-6 January   2009 Joint Meeting of ISO TC 37/SC 4 Thematic Domain
                     Group on Semantic Content and ACL SIGSEM Working
                     Group on the Representation of Multimodal
                     Semantic Information
  7-9 January   2009 IWCS-8 Conference

                         FURTHER INFORMATION

Secretariat: Ms Lauraine Sinay
             Department of Communication and Information Sciences
             Tilburg University
             PO Box 90153
             5000 LE Tilburg
             The Netherlands
             Fax:   +31-13 466 28 92
             Phone: +31-13 466 30 60 or ..81 18 or ..26 68
             Email: computational.semantics at uvt.nl

Website: http://let.uvt.nl/research/ti/sigsem/iwcs/iwcs8