[Elsnet-list] CFP: Corpus Linguistics Conference 2009

Simms, Karl knsimms at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 13:08:14 CEST 2008

Corpus Linguistics Conference

First Call for Papers

Following the Corpus Linguistics Conferences at Lancaster and Birmingham, the Fifth Corpus Linguistics Conference 2009 will be held at the University of Liverpool.

We are looking forward to an interesting programme and invite abstracts for papers, posters, work-in-progress reports, as well as workshops and colloquia covering any aspect of corpus linguistics. The conference begins with a workshop and colloquium day on Monday 20 July, the main conference runs from Tuesday 21 to Thursday 23 July, with the conference dinner on Wednesday 22 July.

Plenary Speakers

Svenja Adolphs (University of Nottingham)

Douglas Biber  (Northern Arizona University)

Michael Hoey (University of Liverpool)

Joybrato Mukherjee (University of Giessen)

Mike Scott (University of Liverpool)

Call for Papers

We invite submissions covering any aspect of corpus linguistics.

Papers  will be allocated 20 minutes plus 10 minutes for questions. Paper abstracts should be between 300 and 500 words (excluding word count for references).

Work-in-progress reports will be 10 minutes plus 5 minutes for questions. Abstracts should be no longer than 300 words (excluding word count for references).

Poster abstracts should be no more than 200 words (excluding word count for references).

Colloquia usually take the form of between 4 and 8 papers, with time for audience discussion. We will accommodate short colloquia (2 hours, about 4 speakers) and longer colloquia (4 hours, about 8 speakers). Proposals should be no more than 1000 words (for colloquia of 2 hours) or 2000 words (for colloquia of 4 hours). The proposal should include a rationale for the colloquium, an indication of how much of the time will be allocated to audience discussion, and an abstract for each of the proposed papers.

Workshops usually include one or two short presentations and substantial audience participation. Workshops  can take 1 or 2 hours. Proposals should be no more than 500 words (for a 1-hour workshop) or 750 words (for a 2-hour workshop) and should describe the organisation of the workshop and the nature of the audience participation. Additionally, information on technical requirements should be provided.

For colloquia and workshops we would encourage you to contact us ahead of the deadline if you have any questions.

The language of the conference is English.

Online submission for abstracts will open in mid-June 2008 at http://www.liv.ac.uk/english/CL2009. Closing date for abstracts: 31 December 2008.

For more information please contact the Organising Committee:

·         E-mail: HYPERLINK "mailto:CL2009 at liverpool.ac.uk"CL2009 at liverpool.ac.uk

·         Post: CL2009, School of English, Modern Languages Building, University of Liverpool, Chatham Street, Liverpool L69 7ZR

·         Telephone: 0151 794 3032

·         Fax: 0151 794 2730

Dr Karl Simms

School of English