[Elsnet-list] PhD openings at Deutsche Telekom Labs, TU Berlin

Moeller, Sebastian Sebastian.Moeller at telekom.de
Sat Jun 21 15:11:32 CEST 2008

PhD positions at Deutsche Telekom Labs, Berlin Institute of Technology

Deutsche Telekom Laboratories (T-Labs) is a joint scientific research institute of Deutsche Telekom AG and Berlin Institute of Technology (TU Berlin). We carry out pioneering research into innovative information and telecommunication technologies, addressing in particular human interaction, networking and security issues. The Laboratories are located on the campus of Berlin University of Technology, with the goal of promoting the interaction between science and business through physical proximity.

For the Quality and Usability Lab of T-Labs/Berlin University of Technology, we seek applications for several PhD openings (German scientific researcher, "Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter", salary according to the BAT IIa scale) expected to be available in the very near future in the following areas:

(1) User Modelling for Evaluation: Our aim is to develop user simulation techniques in order to carry out semi-automatic evaluation of interactive systems, in particular spoken dialogue systems, but also GUIs and multimodal systems. The ideal candidate for this position would have a Master in computer science or a related discipline, some experience with statistical modelling (reinforcement learning, etc.), and a genuine interest in human factors and evaluation.

(2) Perceived Security and Privacy: Our aim is to develop subjective evaluation methods and user behaviour models for interactive systems for which security and privacy are important issues, such as authentication systems, electronic ID cards, firewalls, etc. The ideal candidate would have a Master degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related field, and a genuine interest in human factors and human behaviour. However, candidates with a background in Psychology and some technical experience are also welcome to apply.

For all positions, we expect a genuine interest in the cross-disciplinary topics covered by our Quality and Usability Lab which range from telecommunications to perception and human factors research. The willingness to work in an international and interdisciplinary team is a must. Further information on the team and our research topics can be found under www.qu.tlabs.tu-berlin.de.

Applications including a CV, a motivation letter, copies of the most important certificates and 1-2 references should be sent as soon as possible to Irene Hube-Achter (irene.hube (a) telekom.de). Berlin Institute of Technology seeks to increase the percentage of female employees and particularly encourages female candidates to apply. In case of equal qualifications, female candidates will be preferred. Handicapped candidates will be preferred in case of equal qualifications.

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Sebastian Möller
Quality and Usability Lab
Deutsche Telekom Laboratories
TU Berlin
Ernst-Reuter-Platz 7
D-10587 Berlin, Germany
Tel: +49 30 8353 58465
Fax: +49 30 8353 58409
E-mail: sebastian.moeller (a) telekom.de
Web: www.qu.tlabs.tu-berlin.de