[Elsnet-list] Final Call for Papers: LDALSK'08

Maciej Piasecki maciej.piasecki at pwr.wroc.pl
Thu Mar 6 14:43:33 CET 2008

Title of the workshop:
Language Diversity and the Acquisition of Linguistic Semantic Knowledge

The host conference:
6th International Conference on Multimedia and Network Information
Systems, Wroclaw, Poland, September 18-19, 2008

Web site:
http://www.zsi.pwr.wroc.pl/MISSI2008/LDALSK/

The proportion of Web pages written in English keeps decreasing, but a
majority of text-handling tools and techniques
have been developed for English and tested on English resources. Many
languages have been reasonably well served
by the existing systems, but large typological differences (complex
morphology, rich inflection, freer-order syntax,
not to mention cultural biases) tend to make those tools and resources
less than fully adequate. This may be particularly
true of deeper processing, including the acquisition of natural language
semantics from text.

The workshop seeks to explore methodologies developed from scratch for a
variety of languages, and perhaps
their reapplication to the processing of English texts. We invite
submissions on the topics we list below,
and on closely related topics in the general spirit of the workshop. We
target the problem of  automatic extraction
of some form of natural language semantics from corpora and application
of the knowledge extracted in that way
in systems that deal with  natural language.

Work on any language is welcome; we particularly encourage submissions
related to "less privileged" languages.
The workshop will be held in English, to ensure the broadest
dissemination of its contributions. We have room
for up to 50 papers, including posters, so there will be ample
opportunity to report on work in progress.
To suit the host conference, papers on applications of the semantic
knowledge extracted from text will also
be considered; such applications include machine translation, parsing,
sentiment analysis, information retrieval,
information extraction, and text mining.

All submissions must present original work. There will be a strict
reviewing process.
Formatting instructions appear on the workshop's Web site. The
submission system is already open.

Publication:

The proceedings will be printed by IEEE.

Selected papers will be considered for publication in a special issue of
the International Journal of Intelligent Information and Database Systems
(http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalCODE=ijiids)
dedicated to the MISSI'08 Conference,
as well as in the International Journal of Information Technologies and
the Systems Approach (IJITSA).

A book devoted to the topics of the conference will be published after
the conference.
Those who have presented at the conference will be invited to submit
extended versions of their papers
as book chapters.

Topics:

Distributional semantics, semantic relatedness, semantic similarity
Extraction of lexico-semantic relations
Extraction of logical models for natural language semantics
Extraction of selectional restrictions
Lexicon extraction from corpora
Pattern-based methods in lexical knowledge acquisition
Recognition of expressions of opinions and emotions in text
Resources and tools for word-sense disambiguation
Software support for lexical knowledge acquisition
Thesaurus construction, extension and critique

Schedule:

submission       March 27, 2008
reviews in       April 30, 2008
acceptance       May 7, 2008
camera-ready     May 21-28, 2008

--
dr Maciej Piasecki

Instytut Informatyki Stosowanej (Institute of Applied Informatics)
Politechnika Wrocławska  (Wroclaw University of Technology)

adres:
ul. Wybrzeże Wyspiańskiego 27
50-370 Wrocław

address: