[Elsnet-list] 12 PhD Positions and 2 Post Doc Positions in ITN
"Speech Communication with Adaptive LEarning"
dietrich.klakow at lsv.uni-saarland.de
Sat Nov 1 08:57:55 CET 2008
Up to 12 PhD Positions and 2 Post Doc Positions Available in
the Marie Curie International Training Network on
Speech Communication with Adaptive LEarning (SCALE)
SCALE is a cooperative project between
* IDIAP Research Institute in Martigny, Switzerland (Prof Herve Bourlard)
* Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands (Prof Lou Boves,
Dr Louis ten Bosch, Dr-ir Bert Cranen, Dr O. Scharenborg)
* RWTH Aachen, Germany (Prof Hermann Ney, Dr Ralf Schlüter)
* Saarland University, Germany (Prof Dietrich Klakow, Dr John McDonough)
* University of Edinburgh, UK (Prof Steve Renals, Dr Simon King,
Dr Korin Richmond, Dr Joe Frankel)
* University of Sheffield, UK (Prof Roger Moore, Prof Phil Green,
Dr Thomas Hain, Dr Guido Sanguinetti) .
Companies like Motorola or Philips Speech Recognition Systems/Nuance
are associated partners of the program.
Each PhD position is funded for three years and degrees can be obtained
from the participating academic institutions.
Distinguishing features of the cooperation include:
- Joint supervision of dissertations by lecturers from two partner
- While staying with one institution for most of the time, the program
includes a stay at a second partner institution either from academia or
industry for three to nine month
- An intensive research exchange program between all participating
PhD and Post Doc projects will be in the area of
* Automatic Speech Recognition
* Machine learning
* Speech Synthesis
* Signal Processing
* Human speech recognition
The salary of a PhD position is roughly 33.800 Euro per year. There are
additional mobility (up to 800 Euro/month) and travel allowances (yearly
allowance). Applicants should hold a strong university degree which
would entitle them to embark on a doctorate (e.g. masters/diploma or
equivalent) in a relevant discipline, and should be in the first four
years of their research careers. As the project is funded by a EU
mobility scheme, there are also certain mobility requirements.
Each Post Doc position is funded for two years. The salary is
approximately 52000 Euro per year. Applicants must have a doctoral
degree at the time of recruitment or equivalent research experience. The
research experience may not exceed 5 years at the time of appointment.
Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Deadlines for applications:
January 1, 2009
April 1, 2009
July 1, 2009
September 1, 2009.
After each deadline all submitted applications will be reviewed and
positions awarded until all positions are
Applications should be submitted at http://www.scale.uni-saarland.de/ .
To be fully considered, please include:
- a curriculum vitae indicating degrees obtained, disciplines covered
(e.g. list of courses ), publications, and other relevant experience
- a sample of written work (e.g. research paper, or thesis,
preferably in English)
- copies of high school and university certificates, and transcripts
- two references (e-mailed directly to the SCALE office
(Diana.Schreyer at LSV.Uni-Saarland.De) before the respective deadline)
- a statement of research interests, previous knowledge and activities
in any of the relevant research areas.
In case an application can only be submitted by regular post, it should
be sent to:
Spoken Language Systems, FR 7.4
C 71 Office 0.02
P.O. Box 15 11 50
If you have any questions, please contact Prof. Dr. Dietrich Klakow
(Dietrich.Klakow at LSV.Uni-Saarland.De).
More information about the Elsnet-list