[Elsnet-list] GESPIN 2009 First Call for Papers

maciej maciej.karpinski at amu.edu.pl
Fri Oct 3 01:35:56 CEST 2008

GESPIN 2009
Gesture and Speech in Interaction
Poznan, 24–26 September 2009

gespin2009 at gmail.com
http://www.ifa.amu.edu.pl/~gespin/

FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS

The Center for Speech and Language Processing at the Adam Mickiewicz
University, Poznan, Poland in collaboration with the School of English
(AMU), the Institute of Linguistics (AMU) and the Institute of Polish
Philology (AMU) is organizing an international conference on gesture and
speech interaction.
The conference will cover the following t h e m e s  and t o p i c s:

Timing relationships between gesture and prosody, prosodic aspects of
gesture, integration of prosody and gesture;
Relationships between: gesture and prosody, prosody and speech, speech
and gesture; language (morphosyntax, semantics) and gesture;
Semantic aspects of gestures;
Speech and gesture: grammars and lexicons;
Adaptive gestures;
Tools for an integrative analysis of speech and gesture corpora;
Systems for gesture and speech annotation;
Modeling gesture and speech;
Formal models of gesture;
Automatic gesture recognition;
Visual speech synthesis;
Word, utterance and gesture structure;
Models of speech and gesture motor control and coordination;
Neurophysiological and neurobehavioural methods for speech and gesture
research;
Multimodality in speech therapy;
Neuronal correlates of speech and gesture coordination;
Dynamical systems theory in speech and gesture research.
(We do not exclude other gesture- and speech-related topics and we leave
the decision on the acceptance of individual papers to the Scientific
Committee.)

S u b m i s s i o n s:
We invite submissions of papers and posters as well as accept tutorial
and special session proposals.
Papers of up to six pages (according to the provided format), written in
English, are to be submitted via e-mail or using the on-line  submission
system available on the conference web site. For detailed formatting
instructions please visit our website around the end of October.
The conference proceedings will be published as an electronic book
included in the conference package. Selected papers will be published in
print as an edited collection.

C o n f e r e n c e  f e e:
The conference fee will cover the publication costs of the proceedings,
conference package, snacks and drinks during breaks, the conference
dinner and social events, as well as other organizing costs.
Regular fee: 120 euro (early), 140 euro (late)
Student fee: 85 euro (early), 100 euro (late)

A c c o m m o d a t i o n:
We will recommend a number of hostels and hotels as well as tourist
agencies but we will not be directly involved in booking.

S o c i a l  e v e n t s:
We are planning to offer organized sight-seeing and a concert for the
participants of the conference. Other suggestions are welcome.

I m p o r t a n t  d a t e s:
Call for special sessions and tutorials: February 28th, 2009
Deadline for special sessions and tutorials: April, 30th, 2009
Deadline for full papers: May 1st, 2009
Acceptance/rejection: June 1st, 2009
Early registration: June 15th, 2009
Conference: September 24th - 26th, 2009

Venue: Adam Mickiewicz University (www.amu.edu.pl) in Poznan (Poland;
www.poznan.pl)

S c i e n t i f i c   C o m m i t t e e:
Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kolaczyk - Chair of the Committee (the Head of The
Center for Speech and Language Processing, AMU)
Jolanta Antas (Faculty of Polish Philology, Jagiellonian University)
Harry Bunt (Department of Communication and Information Sciences,
Tilburg University)
Nick Campbell (ATR, Japan)
Ronald Cole (Boulder Language Technologies)
Grazyna Demenko (Institute of Linguistics, AMU)
Waldemar Domachowski (Institute of Psychology, AMU)
Susan Duncan (McNeill Laboratories)
Anna Esposito (International Institute of Advanced Scientific Studies,
Vietri sul Mare)
Dafydd Gibbon (Faculty of Languages and Literature, University of Bielefeld)
Katharina Rohlfing (Faculty of Technology, University of Bielefeld)
Steven Small (Faculty of Psychology, University of Chicago)
(The Committee is still being extended.)

O r g a n i s i n g  C o m m i t t e e:
Maciej Karpinski (Institute of Linguistics, AMU) - Chair of the Committee
Ewa Jarmolowicz-Nowikow (Institute of Linguistics, AMU)
Konrad Juszczyk (Institute of Linguistics, AMU)
Zofia Malisz (School of English, AMU)
Dawid Pietrala (School of English, AMU)
Michal Szczyszek (Institute of Polish Philology, AMU)

Contact e-mail:  gespin2009 at gmail.com

We will announce the list of invited speakers as well as inform about
the registration procedure and other details early in 2009.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Maciej Karpinski