[Elsnet-list] Call for Chapters

John Wesley Mullennix mullenni+ at pitt.edu
Wed Sep 10 15:22:56 CEST 2008

Greetings,

I am in the process of putting a book together with my colleague Steven
Stern called: Computer Synthesized Speech Technologies: Tools for Aiding
Impairment. As such, we are inviting people to contribute their
expertise to our forthcoming book in the form of a chapter. We are
attempting to contact people who have research interests on the use of
CSS (computer synthesized speech) technology to aid speech impairments,
but besides people from academic institutions we are open to people who
are practitioners who could write a chapter based on a case study of
using CSS for a person with a particular disorder. Examples of some
disorders with speech impairments are autistic spectrum disorders, ALS,
brain/spinal cord injury, stroke, cerebral palsy, etc. We are also
interested in chapters that deal with the special problems children and
the elderly may have with computerized speech aids.

The procedure that we are following is that we are first soliciting
short proposals for chapters. We will review these proposals and then
approve those which are appropriate. Hence, all proposals may not be
accepted.

The formal complete call for chapters follows. Please feel free to
forward this posting to anyone you wish. Thanks!

CALL FOR CHAPTER PROPOSALS
Proposal Submission Deadline: October 30, 2008
Computer Synthesized Speech Technologies: Tools for Aiding Impairment
A book edited by Dr. John W. Mullennix and Dr. Steven E. Stern
University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, USA

Introduction

The term "Computer Synthesized Speech," or CSS, refers to speech that is
generated by computer. CSS is often embedded into what are called
Text-to-Speech (TTS) systems, where the user inputs text through a
keyboard and then an output device creates the audible speech. CSS is a
valuable assistive technology for the speaking-disabled and the
visually-impaired.
There are various disorders that cause speech impairment, with the
speech impaired user's condition a determining factor affecting the
implementation of CSS. We are looking for several authors to write
chapters on the particular difficulties present when using CSS to assist
with different types of disorders—ranging from congenital disorders to
sudden onset conditions, and including autism, a condition of growing
prevalence for which CSS may offer new avenues of treatment.

The successful implementation of a CSS system is also affected by the
quality of the voice. Some CSS systems are more intelligible, natural
sounding, and comprehensible than others. There is also evidence that
listening to synthetic speech puts a cognitive and attentional strain on
the listener. We are soliciting authors to write chapters examining
these important issues.
Those who work with speech disabled users of CSS need to understand how
the combination of disability and the technology leads to potential
stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination. We are looking for authors
who can examine how people relate to the users of synthesized speech,
frequently stereotyping them, and potentially discriminating against
them. In addition, we would like to include chapters that specifically
address how organizations can successfully employ the speaking disabled
within the context of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Objective of the Book

This book will cover a variety of areas pertinent to understanding the
myriad of concerns in the implementation of computer synthesized speech
for practitioners working with speech disabled populations. It is our
objective to simultaneously ground this work in current theory and
research. Each chapter will be geared toward providing information that
practitioners should know, or even better, can use. Objectives of the
book include providing practitioners and future practitioners with
information that will allow them to better assist the speech disabled
who wish to utilize this technology; providing an overview of CSS
technology, its history, and its future potential; examining various
speech-related disorders and impairments and how CSS is used in these
cases as a speaking prosthesis for the speech disabled; assessing how
spoken communication between people (i.e., between a normal speaker and
a speech disabled person) is affected by our ability to perceive and
comprehend speech produced by a CSS system; and understanding how
society and organizations view and interact with speech disabled
individuals using CSS.

Target Audience

This book is oriented towards educators, students, and practitioners in
the areas of Psychology, Communication Disorders, Speech Pathology,
Computer Science, Rehabilitation Sciences, Social Work, Gerontology,
Nursing, Special Education and any other discipline where the use of CSS
is applicable. The book's primary emphasis is on providing information
based on scholarly and clinical work that will assist both clinical
practitioners and future practitioners in making informed decisions
about applications of synthetic speech with the speech disabled.

Recommended topics include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Current State of CSS Technology
• History of the Technology
• Interfaces for using CSS
• Future Trends in CSS and Input/Output Devices
• Use of CSS in Developmental Disorders such as Autism
• Use of CSS in Degenerative Disorders such as ALS
• Use of CSS in Congenital Disorders such as Cerebral Palsy
• Use of CSS with Central Nervous System Traumatic Disorders such as
Stroke, TBI and
Spinal Cord Injury
• Use of CSS with Children, The Elderly, and Other Special Populations
• Case Studies of using CSS with Speech Impaired Populations
• Evaluation of Intelligibility and Naturalness of CSS
• Memory and Attention Factors in Listening to CSS
• Limiting Factors in Speech Articulation and Expression Using CSS
• Persuasiveness of CSS Compared to Natural Speech
• Stereotyping of CSS Speech Disabled Users
• Considerations of ADA Compliance
• Using CSS in the Workplace

Submission Procedure

Researchers and practitioners are invited to submit on or before October
30, 2008 a 2-3 page chapter proposal clearly explaining the mission and
concerns of his or her proposed chapter. Authors of accepted proposals
will be notified by November 15, 2008 about the status of their
proposals and sent chapter guidelines. Full chapters of 7,000-9,000
words are expected to be submitted by February 15, 2009. All submitted
chapters will be reviewed on a double-blind review basis. This book is
scheduled to be published by IGI Global (formerly Idea Group Inc.),
publisher of the “Information Science Reference” (formerly Idea Group
Reference) and “Medical Information Science Reference” imprints. For
additional information regarding the publisher, please visit
www.igi-global.com.

Inquiries and submissions can be forwarded electronically (Word
document) or by mail to:

Dr. John W. Mullennix
Department of Psychology
UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH AT JOHNSTOWN
450 SCHOOLHOUSE ROAD, JOHNSTOWN, PA, 15904, USA
Tel.: (814) 269-7293 Fax: (814) 269-2022
E-mail: mullenni at pitt.edu

--
John W. Mullennix, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology