[Elsnet-list] RE: Job offer
burchardt at cre-elearning.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Sep 28 19:05:10 CEST 2008
Dear Sirs, Ladies,
a few minutes ago, I sent you a job offer, which still contained a formatting error. Please find attached a new version.
From: Aljoscha Burchardt
Sent: Sun 9/28/2008 6:34 PM
To: elsnet-list at elsnet.org
Subject: Job offer
Dear Sirs, Ladies,
Please find attaches a job offer from TU Darmstadt Germany to be published on elsnet list.
Thanks in advance.
-------------- next part --------------
ï»¿Technische UniversitÃ¤t Darmstadt offers both a PostDoc and a PhD
position in the areas of Natural Language Processing and Ubiquitous
Computing for educational purposes.
The two positions are offered within our interdisciplinary Research
Training Program (RTP) "Feedback-based Quality Management in eLearning"
funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). The program emphasizes
research on quality improvement in education based on the latest
Computer Science technologies. 17 PhD students and two PostDoc
researchers work together in the RTP, along with about a dozen faculty
and their respective research groups. The positions here are announced
jointly by the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing (UKP) Lab with the focus
on NLP and by the Telecooperation Division with the focus on Ubiquitous
Computing, thus offering a dynamic work environment, a highly motivated
and integrated research team, and an industrial cooperation
network. Both groups were distinguished by several research awards and
participation in cutting-edge projects during the recent time and strive
for the highest international standards.
Doctoral students will work towards a PhD in Computer Science with the
focus on either NLP or Ubiquitous Computing, or a combination of both,
from the Technische Universitaet Darmstadt. The PostDoc will conduct
original research within the scope of the above mentioned topics,
closely collaborate with the involved PhDs and contribute to the
scientific management of the overall RTP (e.g. by organizing scientific
workshops). The positions will provide an opportunity to develop the CV
by participating in a follow-up proposal and other challenging ongoing
activities. We encourage and support high-quality research publications
at the respective top international conferences.
An outstanding feature of the RTP is its strong interdisciplinary
approach that joins a range of disciplines from both technical sciences
and the humanities. For both positions, we seek highly motivated
individuals, who are interested in one or more topics listed below.
* Combination of NLP and Ubiquitous Computing technologies
* Domain-specific adaptation of speech/handwriting recognition
* Automatic summarization of discourse for educational purposes
* Multimodal human-computer interaction
* Multimedia content analysis techniques
* Presentation adaption utilizing NLP techniques
* (Cross-)domain-/modality specific information retrieval
* Web 2.0, eLearning, and human-computer interfaces
* Post-doctoral applicants should have a strong background in NLP,
Ubiquitous Computing, and/or Computer Science and possess the ability
to conduct original research.
* Doctoral applicants should have an excellent degree in computer
science, computational linguistics or a related discipline.
* Previous experience with Machine Learning, NLP, peech/handwriting
recognition and/or Ubiquitous Computing technologies is a definite asset.
* Strong programming skills in Java, a keen research interest and a
strong ability to cooperate with group members are essential.
* A strong publication record is a definite plus (PostDoc candidates).
* Interested candidates should have a basic command of German.
The positions are open immediately. Later starting dates can be
negotiated. The applications should include:
* your CV with details of past research experience publication list the
* names of three referees
Applications should be sent in by October, 15th, 2008.
However, the positions are open until filled, so applications arriving
later will still be considered.
Please direct your inquiries to: Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych
A hard copy of your application should be sent to:
Prof. Dr. Iryna Gurevych
UKP Lab, FB 20 Computer Science
Technische Universitaet Darmstadt
More information about the Elsnet-list