[Elsnet-list] CALL FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE LOEBNER CONTEST 2009

ISCA Secretariat isca at altranet.fr
Thu Aug 20 17:04:21 CEST 2009

INTERSPEECH 2009 - CALL FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE LOEBNER CONTEST 2009
"How can we tell if a machine can think?"

This question is the inspiration for the Loebner contest, hosted by Interspeech, which will be held in the Brighton Centre from 10:45am on Sunday 6 September. It conducts a Turing test to determine whether a computer program can successfully give the illusion of being human. We are seeking volunteers to pit themselves against the entries -- and prove to the judges just how human they are!

The test involves using a computer interface to chat (type messages) for 5 minutes with a judge, who does the same with the program, not knowing which is which. The judge has to determine which is the true human. The test involves multiple rounds and the whole competition is expected to last approximately 2 hours. Further details can be found on the conference website (http://www.interspeech2009.org/conference/exhibition.php).

If you are interested in taking part or have any questions, please contact the organiser directly, Philip Jackson (p.jackson at surrey.ac.uk). Everyone is welcome to attend. We'll be in the Rainbow Room!

INTERSPEECH 2009 - 6-10 September - Brighton, UK
http://www.interspeech2009.org/

Please note that 'on-line' registration for INTERSPEECH-2009 will close on
31st August 2009.  After that you will need to register onsite at the event
itself.  So, if you are planning to come to Brighton and you haven't yet
registered, then avoid wasting any time at the conference by registering
on-line before 31st August.

I look forward to seeing you in Brighton.

Prof. Roger K. Moore
General Chair: INTERSPEECH 2009