[Elsnet-list] Vacancy POSTDOC (2 years), Statistical NLP
k.simaan at uva.nl
Sun Jan 25 14:45:58 CET 2009
Call for applicants.
Detail to be found on: Vacancy postdoc reseacher, 2 years, computational
The Institute for Logic, Language and Computation
<http://www.illc.uva.nl>, University of Amsterdam <http://www.uva.nl>,
has a vacancy for a
1.0 fte (38h per week)
For both internal and external candidates
* Position: POSTDOC researcher
* Duration: 2 years (full time, 38hrs per week)
* Salary (gross per month): minimum Euro 2379 and maximum Euro 3755
in the first year.
* The Collective Employment Agreement of the Dutch Universities is
* Last date for application: February 15, 2009.
Priors for the Estimation of Probabilistic Grammars from Incomplete
Natural Language Data
VIDI project Sima'an [2007-2011]
Abstract: The project aims at exploring the utility of available prior
knowledge in specifying the model (hypothesis space) and the constraints
on the objective estimation function for unsupervised estimation of
probabilistic grammars for Statistical Machine Translation and
This project addresses problems of unsupervised estimation in the face
of different kinds of incomplete data (parallel and monolingual corpora):
1. A raw text corpus,
2. A partially annotated corpus possibly with negative examples, and
3. A raw in-domain corpus and an out-of-domain annotated corpus.
Corpus annotation is e.g., word-alignment, syntactic or semantic structure.
Example topics studied within the project (see project related
* Statistical machine translation with hierarchical/syntactic
structure, e.g., statistical estimation [Mylonakis and Sima'an
2007 and 2008], lexical syntactic structrure [Hassan, Way and
Sima'an 2007 and 2008]
* Statistical machine translation with morphological structure --
Work in progress 2009,
* Inducing hidden compositional structure for machine translation
(possibly using syntactic structure) -- Work in progress 2009.
For more detail see: Webpage
We seek a cooperative yet independent researcher who is passionate about
empirical research, statistical methods and NLP/CL.
The following are the main requirements:
* obtained a Ph.D. recently (or will obtain it in the very near
future, in which case testemoney from the PhD thesis Supervisor is
* a strong background, experience in and affinity with the largest
subset of the following areas:
1. Computational Linguistics/Natural Language Processing working with
2. Machine Learning Applied to NLP with good knowledge of
unsupervised statistical methods.
3. Statistical Machine Translation.
4. Unsupervised statistical methods for statistical Parsing.
The appointment will be on a temporary basis for a maximum period of 2
years. Based on a full-time appointment (38 hours per week) the gross
monthly salary will range from € 2379,- to, at the most, € 3755,- , in
the first year depending on expertise and experience.
The Collective Employment Agreement of the Dutch Universities is applicable.
To Dr Khalil Sima'an <mailto:simaan at science.uva.nl?SUBJECT=VIDI-POSTDOC>
by email (k.simaan at uva.nl with subject heading: VIDI-POSTDOC).
The following documents (in pdf):
1. Letter expressing interest
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. List of publications (possibly including a downloadable pdf of
4. Three letters of reference sent directly by the referees to Dr
Khalil Sima'an <mailto:simaan at science.uva.nl?SUBJECT=VIDI-POSTDOC>
5. Optional: Research plan (1 page)
Last date for application: February 15, 2009.
For inquiries contact
Dr Khalil Sima'an <mailto:simaan at science.uva.nl?SUBJECT=VIDI-POSTDOC>.
Language and Computation <http://www.illc.uva.nl/Research/research06b.php>
Computer Science <http://www.science.uva.nl/english/home.cfm>
University of Amsterdam <http://www.uva.nl/>
Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC)
University of Amsterdam
Tel#: +31-20-525 6573
Fax#: +31-20-525 5206
Plantage Muidergracht 24
1018 TV Amsterdam
More information about the Elsnet-list