[Elsnet-list] GESPIN2009 - 2nd Call for Papers

maciej maciej.karpinski at amu.edu.pl
Sat Jan 31 18:20:25 CET 2009

GESPIN 2009
Gesture and Speech in Interaction
24–26 September
Poznan

gespin2009 at gmail.com
http://www.ifa.amu.edu.pl/~gespin/

SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

The Center for Speech and Language Processing at the Adam Mickiewicz
University, Poznan, Poland in collaboration with the School of English
(AMU), the Institute of Linguistics (AMU) and the Institute of Polish
Philology (AMU) is organizing an international conference on gesture and
speech interaction.

The conference will cover the following themes and topics:
- Timing relationships between gesture and prosody, prosodic aspects of
gesture, integration of prosody and gesture;
- Relationships between: gesture and prosody, prosody and speech, speech
and gesture; language (morphosyntax, semantics, and gesture;
- Semantic aspects of gestures;
- Speech and gesture: grammars and lexicons;
- Adaptive gestures;
- Tools for an integrative analysis of speech and gesture corpora;
- Systems for gesture and speech annotation;
- Modeling gesture and speech;
- Formal models of gesture;
- Automatic gesture recognition;
- Visual speech synthesis;
- Word, utterance and gesture structure;
- Models of speech and gesture motor control and coordination;
- Neurophysiological and neurobehavioural methods for speech and gesture
research;
- Multimodality in speech therapy;
- Neuronal correlates of speech and gesture coordination;
- Dynamical systems theory in speech and gesture research.
(We do not exclude other gesture- and speech-related topics and we leave
the decision on the acceptance of individual papers to the Scientific
Committee.)

Submissions:
We invite submissions of papers and posters as well as accept tutorial
and special session proposals.
Papers of up to six pages (according to the provided format), written in
English, are to be submitted via e-mail or using the on-line submission
system available on the conference web site.
The conference proceedings will be published as an electronic book or in
print and included in the conference package. Selected papers will be
published in print as an edited collection.

A preliminary list of invited speakers:
Jolanta Antas (Jagiellonian University, Poland)
Harry Bunt (Tilburg University, Holland)
Anna Esposito (Second University of Naples & International Institute of
Advanced Scientific Studies, Vietri sul Mare)
(further names will be announced soon)

Proposed tutorials:
Time-aligned annotation and analysis of multimodal recordings (free for
conference participants!)

Conference fee:
The conference fee will cover the publication costs of the proceedings,
conference package, snacks and drinks during breaks, the conference
dinner and social events, as well as other organizing costs.
Regular fee: 120 euro (early), 140 euro (late)
Student fee: 85 euro (early), 100 euro (late)

Accommodation:
A map of the neighbourhood of the Conference venue showing a number of
hostels and hotels is available on our web site. We will not be directly
involved in booking. Nevertheless, we have pre-booked a limited number
of rooms in a "budget" academic hotel. Please visit GESPIN 2009 web
page: we will publish more information soon.

Social events:
We are planning to offer organized sight-seeing and a concert for the
participants of the conference. Other suggestions are welcome!

Important dates:
Call for special sessions and tutorials: February 28th, 2009
Deadline for special sessions and tutorials: April, 30th, 2009
Deadline for full papers: May 1st, 2009
Acceptance/rejection: June 1st, 2009
Early registration: June 15th, 2009
Conference: September 24th - 26th, 2009

Venue: Adam Mickiewicz University (www.amu.edu.pl) in Poznan (Poland;
www.poznan.pl):
	Collegium Minus, Collegium Maius, Collegium Novum

Scientific Committee:
Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk - Chair of the Committee (the Head of The
Centre for Speech and Language Processing, AMU)
Jolanta Antas (Faculty of Polish Philology, Jagiellonian University)
Harry Bunt (Department of Communication and Information Sciences,
Tilburg University)
Nick Campbell (ATR, Japan)
Ronald Cole (Boulder Language Technologies)
Grażyna Demenko (Institute of Linguistics, AMU)
Waldemar Domachowski (Institute of Psychology, AMU)
Susan Duncan (Psychology Department, University of Chicago)
Anna Esposito (Second University of Naples, Dept of Psychology, and
IIASS, Italy)
Dafydd Gibbon (Faculty of Languages and Literature, University of Bielefeld)
Susan Goldin-Meadow (Department of Psychology, University of Chicago)
Katharina Rohlfing (Faculty of Technology, University of Bielefeld)
Steven Small (Faculty of Psychology, University of Chicago)

Organising Committee:
Maciej Karpiński (Institute of Linguistics, AMU) - Chair of the Committee
Ewa Jarmołowicz-Nowikow  (Institute of Linguistics, AMU)
Konrad Juszczyk (Institute of Linguistics, AMU)
Zofia Malisz (School of English, AMU)
Dawid Pietrala (School of English, AMU)
Michał Szczyszek (Institute of Polish Philology, AMU)

Contact e-mail: gespin2009 at gmail.com

Media Support: Radio Merkury Poznan

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Maciej Karpinski