[Elsnet-list] Final Call for Abstracts (extended deadline) - 30th Annual International Linguistics Conference TABU Dag 2009

Martijn Wieling wieling at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 18:52:07 CET 2009

     30th International Linguistics Conference: TABU Dag 2009
                      June 11 - 12, 2009
           University of Groningen, the Netherlands

                  http://www.let.rug.nl/tabudag

                      FINAL CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

                         EXTENDED DEADLINE

                Submission Deadline: April 8, 2009

The Center for Language and Cognition of the University of Groningen is
pleased to announce the 30th TABU Dag. To celebrate its 30th anniversary,
TABU Dag 2009 will last two days and will be held on Thursday, June 11th
and Friday, June 12th 2009. Researchers and other interested people are
cordially invited to participate!

TABU Dag is an international broad linguistics conference which offers
excellent opportunities to meet other linguists and discuss current research
on several areas of linguistics. We strongly encourage participation and
abstract submission by young researchers.

This year, four plenary speakers will give a talk. We are happy to announce
that Jack Chambers (University of Toronto), Ken Church (Microsoft Research),
Marianne Gullberg (Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics) and Matthias
Schlesewsky (Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz) have accepted our invitation.

To mark the TABU Dag anniversary, the "TABU Dag 2009 prize" will be awarded
to the best presentation of the conference!

We welcome contributions related to the following aspects of linguistics:

Computational Linguistics
- computer-assisted language learning
- dialectometry
- language processing
- machine learning
- parsing and machine translation

Discourse and Communication
- communication in institutions, media, on the internet
- discourse structure
- spoken language communication & intonation
- written, visual, audio-visual conversations

Language and Literacy Development across the Life Span
- bilingualism and bilingual education
- first language acquisition
- language attrition
- language development and aging
- language learning in educational settings
- second language acquisition

Language Variation and Language Change
- dialectology and sociolinguistics
- grammaticalization and degrammaticalization
- language change
- language contact
- synchronic and diachronic language variation

Neurolinguistics
- developmental speech and language disorders
- normal language processing in the brain (neuroimaging techniques –
       ERP, MEG, fMRI, TMS, eye tracking)
- speech and language disorders after brain damage

Syntax and Semantics
- discourse semantics
- perception and understanding (asymmetries in grammar)
- syntactic structure, information structure

In addition, we encourage abstract submissions from other linguistic areas
which may have remained unmentioned in the overview above.

Abstracts of max 400 words should be submitted via the abstract submission
system on our website: http://www.let.rug.nl/tabudag.

The deadline for abstract submission is April 8, 2009. Notification of
acceptance will be sent to you on April 15. The duration of the presentations
is twenty minutes plus five minutes for discussion. Depending on the number of
submissions, some authors may be invited to give a poster presentation. The
conference language is English.

For more information and registration, please visit our website:
http://www.let.rug.nl/tabudag

We are looking forward to seeing you in Groningen!

Best regards,

The organizers,
Diana Dimitrova, Myrte Gosen, Dörte Hessler, Alexandra Lenz & Martijn Wieling
tabudag at rug.nl