[Elsnet-list] CFP: SiMPE '09 at ACM MobileHCI. Submission deadline extended.

Nitendra Rajput rnitendra at in.ibm.com
Wed May 6 08:51:13 CEST 2009

Hello,

The paper submission deadline for SiMPE has been extended to May 18 since
the conference also extended its early-registration deadline.

SiMPE 2009 Organizers.

                              Call for papers

      Fourth Workshop on Speech in Mobile and Pervasive Environments
                  (in conjunction with ACM MobileHCI '09)
                               Bonn, Germany

                            September 15, 2009
                      http://research.ihost.com/SiMPE

Organizers
   Amit A. Nanavati, IBM Research, India.
   Nitendra Rajput, IBM Research, India..
   Alexander I. Rudnicky, Carnegie Mellon University, USA.
   Markku Turunen, University of Tampere, Finland.
   Andrew Kun, University of New Hampshire, USA.
   Tim Paek, Microsoft Research, USA.
   Ivan Tashev, Microsoft Research, USA.

Program Committee
   Abeer Alwan, UCLA, USA.
   Alex Acero, Microsoft, USA.
   Matt Jones, Swansea University, UK.
   Anirudha Joshi, IIT Bombay, India..
   Yoon Kim, Novauris Technologies, USA.
   Lars Bo Larsen, Aalborg University, Denmark..
   Gary Marsden, Univ. of Cape Town, South Africa.
   Michael McTear, University of Ulster, Ireland..
   Shrikanth S. Narayanan, USC, USA.
   Sharon Oviatt, Incaa Designs, USA.
   Antonio M. Peinado, Universidad de Granada, Spain.
   Ian Pitt, University College Cork, Ireland.
   Jahanzeb Sherwani, CMU, USA.
   Yaxin Zhang, Motorola, China.

Topics of Interest
All areas that enable, optimize or enhance speech in mobile and pervasive
environments and devices. Possible areas include, but are not restricted
to:
   Speech Interfaces/Applications for Developing Regions
   Speech User Interaction in Cars
   Multilingual Speech Recognition
   Robust Speech Recognition in Noisy and Resource-Constrained Environments
   Memory/Energy Efficient Algorithms
   Multimodal User Interfaces for Mobile Devices
   Protocols and Standards for Speech Applications
   Distributed Speech Processing
   Mobile Application Adaptation and Learning
   Prototypical System Architectures
   Design and Usability Testing of Mobile Interfaces
   User Modeling

Submissions
We seek original, unpublished papers in the following three categories:
(a) Position papers that describe novel ideas that can lead to interesting
research directions,
(b) Early results or work-in-progress that has significant promise, or,
(c) Full papers.
Papers should be of 4-8 pages in length in the MobileHCI publication
format. The LaTeX and Microsoft Word templates are available at the ACM
Template site. All submissions should be in the PDF format and should be
submitted electronically through the workshop submission web site,
http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=simpe09. Since the submission
deadlines are dependent on the MobileHCI conference, we will not be able to
grant any extensions in any circumstances.

We also welcome participation without paper submission.

Note: Since the workshop also aims to be a meeting point for researchers
working in this area, at least one author of accepted papers has to attend
the workshop to present their work, else the paper will not be included in
the final workshop proceedings. Participants who wish to attend the
workshop will have to register for the main conference as well.

For any comments regarding submissions and participation, contact: namit AT
in DOT ibm DOT com, rnitendra AT in DOT ibm DOT com, andrew.kun AT unh DOT
com.

Seed Questions
   What are the usability issues with speech on mobile devices?
   Are there efficient ways of enabling voice search on the device?
   How to make voice UIs flexible and adaptive?
   Are there any novel and easier ways to handle multiple languages and
      dialects?
   How do we construct speech systems with small footprints of memory and
      power consumption?
   How can we distribute processing more efficiently given the increased
      available computing power on handhelds? How do we trade this off with
      a remote server to conserve energy?
   How can we design scalable speech applications?
   How can we leverage context (such as location) to make more intelligent
      UIs that reduce the `cognitive burden' of semi-literate/illiterate
      users?
   How to design speech interfaces that are safe and robust for using in
      cars?

Key Dates
   Position Paper Submission Deadline: May 18, 2009 (11:59 PM Amsterdam
      Time)?
   Notification of Acceptance: June 08, 2009
   Early Registration Deadline: June 29, 2009,
   Workshop: 8:45AM -- 5:00PM, September 15, 2009.

Websites:
SiMPE Workshop: http://research.ihost.com/SiMPE
ACM MobileHCI '09 : http://www.mobilehci09.org/

SiMPE 2008: http://research.ihost.com/SiMPE/2008