[Elsnet-list] CfP: Social Signals in Speech - Special Session@Interspeech2010

Khiet Truong k.p.truong at ewi.utwente.nl
Wed Mar 17 10:58:44 CET 2010

*** Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP ***

-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Call for Papers
Interspeech 2010 Special Session on Social Signals in Speech
26 - 30 September 2010 in Makuhari, Japan
-----------------------------

The expressive functions of vocal behavior have been widely investigated
and described in the literature. However, most of this research was
limited
to the investigation of affective states with the prototypical emotions
such as anger, disgust, happiness, or the emotional dimensions of
arousal
and valence, receiving most of the focus. Other expressive dimensions,
related to the signaling of social cues in interaction, have received
far
less attention. Among these expressive dimensions we consider signals of
politeness or rudeness, familiarity, (dis-)agreement, rapport,
dominance,
etcetera, and also of social emotions including being angry at the
interlocutor, love and liking, jealousy or flirting, etcetera.
Unraveling
the relation between vocal and social conversational phenomena is
relevant
for the understanding and automatic analysis of human social signals. As
future applications, Embodied Conversational Agents (ECAs) and spoken
dialogue systems can be developed which will be able to behave more
human-like and will be able to recognize and display social
interactional
behavior. This special session aims to create a better understanding
of how
vocal behavior can be used to signal social cues in interaction. We
intend
to discuss state-of-the-art research on the relation between vocal
behavior
and social interaction, and we aim to raise discussions about
fundamental
issues and future challenges in this emerging domain of Social Signal
Processing (SSP).

We invite researchers to contribute to this special session on Social
Signals in Speech, a multidisciplinary subject that lies on the
interface
of speech science, linguistics, social science, signal processing and
technology. Topics may include (but are not limited to):

The (automatic) analysis of social interaction, such as

* Group-interaction dynamics
* (Dis)-agreement
* Politeness
* Social status
* Dominance
* Empathy
* Rapport
* Friendliness
* Flirting
* Likeability/attractiveness
* (Social) attitude
* Interactional synchrony
* Alignment
* Social mimicry
* Engagement
* Subjectivity
* Speaker role

in relation to vocal behavior, such as

* Prosody
* Non-lexical vocalizations (e.g., laughter, crying)
* Backchannels
* Floor interaction
* Turn-taking patterns
* Pauses and silences
* Interruptions
* Speech rhythm
* Voice quality

Submission procedure
--------------------
Papers (4 pages) for the Special Session on Social Signals in Speech
will
undergo the regular conference submission and review procedure. Please
refer to the main conference website of Interspeech 2010 for full
details:
http://www.interspeech2010.org
Upon submission, the Special Session on Social Signals in Speech will be
available for selection. Presentation format will (most likely) be oral.

Important dates
--------------------
* Paper submission deadline: 30 April 2010
* Notification of acceptance/rejection: 2 July 2010
* Conference dates: 26-30 September 2010

Websites
* Main conference Interspeech 2010: http://www.interspeech2010.org
* Special Session on Social Signals in Speech:
http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~truongkp/is2010sssss.html
* Social Signal Processing: http://sspnet.eu/
* Human Media Interaction, University of Twente: http://hmi.ewi.utwente.nl/

Session organisers