[Elsnet-list] Final Call for Participation: ECIR 2010 Industry Day
udo at essex.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 21:06:55 CET 2010
ECIR 2010 Industry Day
Thursday 1st April 2010
The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK
We are pleased to announce the European Conference on Information
Retrieval (ECIR) 2010 Industry Day. This event takes place the day after
the main ECIR programme and represents a unique opportunity to meet and
share ideas with a broad mix of experts from both industry and academia.
We have a great list of speakers who will present the latest challenges
faced by practitioners in both enterprise and web search. We are excited
that this year we have some talks on applications of semantic analysis
which is considered to be a rapidly maturing academic field, now ready
for wider adoption in the marketplace. The event should appeal to
students, academics, researchers, designers, and developers alike.
09:00 - 10:00 Registration (Berrill Building)
10:00 - 10:10 Welcome
Session 1: Advancing Web Search
* 10:10 Ricardo Baeza-Yates (Yahoo! Research) "Mining the Web 2.0 to
* 10:35 Dan Crow (Google) "Google Squared: web scale, open domain
information extraction and presentation"
* 11:00 Milad Shokouhi (Microsoft Research) "Relevance Challenges at Bing"
11:25 - 11:55 Coffee break
Session 2: Enterprise Search
* 11:55 Vegard Sandvold (Comperio) "Search User Experience - The
Essentials of Great Search Design"
* 12:20 David Hawking (Funnelback) "Getting value from the Search
* 12:45 Nick Patience (The 451 Group) "Enterprise Search: State of the
Market 2010 & Beyond"
13:10 - 14:10 Lunch
Session 3: Domain-Specific Search
* 14:10 Rob Blackwell (Active Web Solutions) "Project Plaza - A new
approach to information management in the Construction Sector"
* 14:35 Sally Chambers (The European Library) "Rethinking the library
catalogue: making search work for the library user"
* 15:00 Francisco de Sousa Webber (Matrixware)
15:25 - 16:00 Coffee break
Session 4: Beyond Search: Question-Answering
* 16:00 Jon McLoone (Wolfram Alpha)"WolframAlpha - the new computational
* 16:25 Simon Overell (True Knowledge) "Using AI to get Answers from the
* 16:50 Panel Topic: "Leveraging semantics to enable better search
Dan Crow (Google), Gjergji Kasneci (Microsoft Research), Jon McLoone
(WolframAlpha), Simon Overell (True Knowledge). Panel moderator: Mike Taylor
This discussion will centre on the exciting subject of semantic
analysis. We will try to cover both technological and application
orientated aspects of this field. For example, some of the questions we
will attempt to address are as follows: How feasible is it to
automatically infer useful semantic information from the Web? How should
we quantify trust and ambiguity in knowledge extracted from the Web?
Could semantic search ever replace keyword search? What is a good UI for
17:30 - 19:30 Drinks reception
The registration fee includes lunch and a copy of the Industry Day
proceedings. Tea and coffee will also be available throughout the day
followed by a drinks reception. Please register via the ECIR 2010
Registration site. Fees: Students/BCS Member £95, Non-Member: £120.
Industry Day will be held at the same venue as the main conference (The
Open University). See http://kmi.open.ac.uk/events/ecir2010/ for further
If you have any enquiries about the event, please see
http://dces.essex.ac.uk/staff/udo/ecir2010/ or contact Udo Kruschwitz:
udo [at] essex.ac.uk
Industry Day Organisers
Tony Russell-Rose, Endeca
Udo Kruschwitz, University of Essex
Mike Taylor, Microsoft Research
ECIR Industry Day is organised by the Information Retrieval Specialist
Group of the BCS (British Computer Society).
More information about the Elsnet-list