[Elsnet-list] 2nd CfP: Special Issue on Event Recognition in AAI Journal

Thomas Winkler thomas.winkler at iais.fraunhofer.de
Mon Sep 6 11:46:42 CEST 2010

===============
Call for Papers
===============

=======================================
Special Issue on Event Recognition
Applied Artificial Intelligence Journal
=======================================

Users and organisations collect data in various structured and
unstructured digital formats, but they cannot fully utilise  these
data  to  support content and  resource  management.  It is evident that
the analysis  and  interpretation  of  the  available  data  needs  to
be  automated,  in  order  for  large  data volumes to be  transformed
into operational  knowledge. Events are particularly important pieces of
knowledge,  as  they represent activities  of  special  significance
both  for  users  and  organisations. Therefore, the recognition of
events is of utmost importance. Consider, for example, the recognition
of trends given user contributions in social Web 2.0 applications, the
recognition of attacks on nodes of a computer network given the
exchanged TCP/IP messages, the recognition of suspicious trader
behaviour  given  the  transactions  in  a  financial  market,  and
the  recognition  of  various  types  of cardiac arrhythmia given
electrocardiograms.
We  invite quality submissions focusing  on various aspects of event
recognition, including  analysis of video, audio, text and other sensor
data, as well as recognition on fused data sources. While we place
emphasis  on  theoretical  contributions,  we  also  welcome  papers
describing  interesting applications.

Broad topics include:
=====================
- Representation languages for event recognition
- Algorithms for real-time event recognition
- Probabilistic reasoning for event recognition
- Machine learning for event recognition
- Event recognition architectures
- Benchmarks, performance evaluations, and testbeds
- Domain-specific deployments of event recognition systems
- Multimedia and social media analysis for event recognition
- Clustering, concept recognition and multi-modal/fusion techniques
- User interaction and interfaces for event navigation, browsing and
management

Key Dates
=========
December 1, 2010 - Submissions