[Elsnet-list] 2 Postdoc/Assistant Professor positions in NLP at Sapienza University of Rome
navigli at di.uniroma1.it
Wed Sep 8 09:43:50 CEST 2010
TWO POSTDOCTORAL/ASSISTANT PROFESSOR POSITIONS IN NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING - SAPIENZA UNIVERSITY OF ROME (ITALY)
The Department of Computer Science of the Sapienza University of Rome invites applications for TWO POSTS of POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE/ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (depending on experience and qualification) in Natural Language Processing.
The positions are part of a 5-year ERC Starting Grant funded by the European Research Council (ERC) and headed by Dr. Roberto Navigli. The successful candidates will participate in a frontier research project on multilingual semantic processing and will work in a stimulating environment of a leading and highly-active research team including 2 faculty members, 2 research associates and 3 Ph.D. students.
* Ph.D. (or completed by the beginning of 2011 for a postdoc position) in Computer Science, Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics, Mathematics
* Strong publication record in Natural Language Processing (see below)
* Willingness to research and develop state-of-the-art algorithms and approaches
* Fluent English. Knowledge of Italian is NOT a requirement
* Solid programming skills: Java and practical expertise with standard NLP tools are required, knowledge of Perl and C++ are a plus
POSITION #1 (LCL1-2010): research record in lexical semantics, large-scale knowledge acquisition or data-intensive Natural Language Processing
POSITION #2 (LCL2-2010): research record in unsupervised acquisition of bilingual/multilingual lexicons, cross-lingual methods for NLP, unsupervised machine learning or statistical machine translation
* Application deadline: October 15, 2010
* Starting date: January 2011 (or as soon as possible thereafter)
* Duration: 2 years + 3 years
* Salary: 30000-45000 euros per annum (Postdoc), 50000-65000 euros p. a. (Assistant Professor), depending on qualifications
Informal inquiries can be sent by email to Roberto Navigli (navigli at di.uniroma1.it).
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a detailed CV and contact details for up to three references to Roberto Navigli (navigli at di.uniroma1.it). Please include the job reference (LCL1-2010 or LCL2-2010) in the subject line.
ABOUT LA SAPIENZA
The University of Rome "La Sapienza" is a seven-century-old university in the heart of Rome. It is one of the largest universities in Europe, with around 150,000 students. Its Faculty of Science (that includes the Department of Computer Science) has been ranked as the best school of science in Italy, 7th in Europe, and 25th in the world according to the Times Higher World University Ranking 2009 for Science.
ABOUT THE COMPUTER SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Computer Science is a modern and well-equipped research institution with a top-class faculty and a strong Ph.D. program. The Department comprises 42 faculty members, 15 postdocs and around 20 Ph.D. Students. The successful candidates will be based in Rome, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The Department is situated in a nice lively area with lots of cafes, bars, restaurants, and at walking distance from the city centre. Prominent candidates must not be afraid of the language barrier, as Italians are in general very friendly.
More information about the Elsnet-list