[Elsnet-list] Next week in Barcelona: Joint Workshop on Recommender Systems forTechnology Enhanced Learning
nikosm at admin.grnet.gr
Tue Sep 21 15:45:10 CEST 2010
++apologies for cross-posting++
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
Workshop on Recommender Systems for Technology Enhanced Learning (RecSysTEL)
Barcelona, Spain, 29-30 September 2010
Organised jointly by
- 4th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys 2010)
- 5th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL 2010)
* Joseph Konstan, GroupLens Research, University of Minnesota (USA)
* Kris Jack, Mendeley.com (UK)
AIM & TOPICS
Technology enhanced learning (TEL) aims to design, develop and test
socio-technical innovations that will support and enhance
learning practices of both individuals and organisations.
It is an application domain that generally addresses all types of
technology research & development aiming to support of teaching and
learning activities. Information retrieval is a pivotal activity
in TEL, and the deployment of recommender systems has attracted
increased interest during the past years.
Recommendation methods, techniques and systems open an interesting
new approach to facilitate and support learning and teaching.
There are plenty a resource available on the Web, both in terms of
digital learning content and people resources (e.g. other learners,
experts, tutors) that can be used to facilitate teaching and
learning tasks. The challenge is to develop, deploy and evaluate
systems that provide learners and teachers with meaningful guidance
in order to help identify suitable learning resources from a
potentially overwhelming variety of choices.
The aim of the Workshop is to bring together researchers and
practitioners that are working on topics related to the design,
development and testing of recommender systems in educational
settings as well as present the current status of research in this
area and create cross-disciplinary liaisons between the RecSys and
EC-TEL communities. Overall, it aims to outline the rich potential
of TEL as an application area for recommender systems, as well as
expose participants to the challenges of developing such systems
in a TEL context.
Topics include but are not limited to:
* User tasks to be supported by recommender systems in TEL
* Focus of recommendation in TEL
* Requirements for the deployment of TEL recommender systems
* Publicly available data sets for TEL recommender systems
* Recommendation algorithms and systems for TEL
* Transfer of successful algorithms and systems from other application areas
* Evaluation criteria and methods for TEL recommender systems
* 29 September 2010 (9:00-17:30): RecSysTEL Workshop @ EC-TEL 2010 venue
(Hotel Catalonia Barcelona Plaza)
- Keynote by Joseph Konstan, GroupLens Research (USA), "Recommender Systems
in Education: Getting enough Data and Moving beyond Preferences"
- G.Beham, B.Kump, T.Ley, S.Lindstaedt, "Recommending Knowledgeable People
in a Work-Integrated Learning System"
- K.Schoefegger, P.Seitlinger, T.Ley, "Towards a User Model for Personalized
Recommendations in Work-Integrated Learning: A Report on an Experimental
Study with a Collaborative Tagging System"
- Y.Wang and K.Sumiya, "Semantic Ranking of Lecture Slides based on
Conceptual Relationship and Presentational Structure"
- N.Thai-Nghe, L.Drumond, A.Krohn-Grimberghe, L.Schmidt-Thieme, "Recommender
System for Predicting Student Performance"
- O.C.Santos, J.G.Boticario, "Modeling recommendations for the educational
- O.Marino, G.Paquette, "A competency-driven advisor system for multi-actor
learning or work environments"
- V.Romero, D.Burgos, "Meta-Mender: a Meta-rule Based Recommendation System
for Educational Applications"
- R.Sie, M.Bitter, P.Sloep, "A Simulation for Content-based and
Utility-based Recommendation of Candidate Coalitions in Virtual Creativity
- H.Drachsler, T.Bogers, R.Vuorikari, K.Verbert, E.Duval, N.Manouselis,
G.Beham, H.Stern, S.Lindstaedt, M.Friedrich, M.Wolpers), "dataTEL. Issues
and Considerations regarding Sharable Data Sets for Recommender Systems in
Technology Enhanced Learning"
- dataTEL systems Marketplace (interactive demo session) and open discussion
on dataTEL challenges
* 30 September 2010 (11:00-18:00): RecSysTEL Workshop @ ACM RecSys 2010
venue (Barcelona WTC)
- Keynote by Kris Jack, Mendeley.com (UK)
- P.Brusilovsky, L.N.Cassel, L.M.L. Delcambre, E.A.Fox, R.Furuta,
D.D.Garcia, F.M.Shipman III, M.Yudelson, "Social Navigation for Educational
- F.Moedritscher, "Towards a Recommender Strategy for Personal Learning
- P.Michlik, M.Bielikova, "Exercises Recommending for Limited Time Learning"
- J.Broisin, M.Brut, V.Butoianu, F.Sedes, P.Vidal, "A Personalized
Recommendation Framework based on CAM and Document Annotations"
- M.-A.Sicilia, S.Sanchez-Alonso, E.Garcia-Barriocanal, C.Cechinel,
"Exploring user-based recommender algorithms in large learning object
repositories: the case of MERLOT"
- B.E.Shelton, J.Duffin, Y.Wang, J.Ball, "Linking OpenCourseWares and Open
Education Resources: Creating an Effective Search and Recommendation System"
- W.Reinhardt, "Small Scale Study on RecSysTEL paper bibliometrics"
- Dating a TEL Recommender (interactive demo session)
More details on the program can be found here:
Workshop proceedings have been published in Volume 1(2), 2010 of Elsevier's
Computer Science (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/18770509).
In addition, authors of best full papers will be invited to submit a revised
of their manuscripts for a Special Issue in a prestigious international
such as the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies.
* Jesus G. Boticario, aDeNu - Spanish National University for Distance
* Peter Brusilovksy, University of Pittsburgh (USA)
* Erik Duval, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium)
* Denis Gillet, Swiss Federal Institute of Lausanne (Switzerland)
* Stefanie Lindstaedt, Know-Center Graz (Austria)
* Peter Scott, Open University (UK)
* Fridolin Wild, Open University (UK)
* Martin Wolpers, Fraunhofer FIT (Germany)
* Riina Vuorikari, European Schoolnet (Belgium)
* Liliana Ardissono, Universita di Torino (Italy)
* Katrin Borcea-Pfitzmann, Dresden University of Technology (Germany)
* Julien Broisin, IRIT Universite Paul Sabatier (France)
* Carlos Delgado Kloos, Carlos III University of Madrid (Spain)
* Stavros Demetriadis, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece)
* Jon Dron, Athabasca University (Canada)
* Joel Duffin, Tatemae (USA)
* Rosta Farzan, Carnegie Mellon University (USA)
* Alexander Felfernig, Graz University of Technology (Austria)
* Rick D. Hangartner, Strands (USA)
* Eelco Herder, L3S (Germany)
* Tsukasa Hirashima, Hiroshima University (Japan)
* Geert-Jan Houben, Technical University Delft (The Netherlands)
* Ralf Klamma, RWTH Aachen University (Germany)
* Martin Memmel, DFKI GmbH (Germany)
* Pedro J. Muρoz-Merino, Carlos III University of Madrid (Spain)
* Brandon Muramatsu, MIT (USA)
* Wolfgang Nejdl - L3S & Leibniz Universitδt Hannover (Germany)
* Xavier Ochoa, Escuela Superior Politecnica del Litoral (Ecuador)
* Mimi Recker, Utah State University (USA)
* Christoph Rensing, TU Darmstadt (Germany)
* Hans-Christian Schmitz, Fraunhofer FIT (Germany)
* Miguel-Angel Sicilia, University of Alcala (Spain)
* Sergey Sosnovsky,DFKI GmbH (Germany)
* Nikos Manouselis, Greek Research & Technology Network (Greece)
* Hendrik Drachsler, Open Universiteit Nederlands (The Netherlands)
* Katrien Verbert, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium)
* Olga C. Santos, aDeNu - Spanish National University for Distance Education
ABOUT RecSys 2010 and EC-TEL 2010
The 4th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys 2010) is the premier
on research and applications of recommender technologies. It will promote a
among practitioners and researchers, reaching a wider range of participants
including those from Europe and Asia. See http://recsys.acm.org/2010/ for
The 5th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL 2010)
technological developments, learning models, and implementations of new and
to training and education. The conference traditionally explores how the
synergy of multiple disciplines
can provide new, more effective and more especially more sustainable,
solutions to learning problems. See http://www.ectel2010.org for details.
More information about the Elsnet-list