[Elsnet-list] Fwd: CFP: SDH 2011 Supporting Digital Humanities - Answering the unaskable

Steven Krauwer s.krauwer at uu.nl
Wed Jul 13 23:44:57 CEST 2011

                      Second call for papers

                SDH 2011 Supporting Digital Humanities:

                      Answering the unaskable

                 17-18 November 2011, Copenhagen

Following up on the success of the first SDH conference, held in
Vienna in 2010, the CLARIN and DARIAH initiatives have decided to
jointly organise the second SDH conference, to be held in
November 2011 at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark, a
participant in both CLARIN and DARIAH.

Digital technologies have the potential to transform the types of
research questions that we ask in the Humanities, allowing us
both to address traditional questions in new and exciting ways
but also to answer questions that we were not even aware we could
ask – hence the title of this conference. How can digital
humanities help us not just to find the answers to our research
questions more quickly and more easily, but also to formulate
research questions we would never have been able to ask without
access to large quantities of digital data and sophisticated
tools for their analysis? Supporting Digital Humanities will be a
forum for the discussion of these innovations, and of the ways in
which these new forms of research can be facilitated and
supported.

CLARIN and DARIAH are creating European research infrastructures
for the humanities and related disciplines. SDH2011 aims to bring
together infrastructure providers and users from the communities
involved in these two infrastructure initiatives. The conference
will consist of a number of topical sessions where providers and
users will present and discuss results, obstacles and
opportunities for digitally-supported humanities research.
Participants are encouraged to engage with honest assessments of
the intellectual problems and practical barriers in an open and
constructive atmosphere.

The first SDH conference in 2010 gave a broad and multi-facetted
presentation of the domains of interest to CLARIN and DARIAH.
This time we have chosen a somewhat more focussed approach,
concentrating on two major themes, but not excluding other themes
of interest for the humanities. The two themes are:

- Sound and movement - music, spoken word, dance and theatre
- Texts and things - texts, and the relationship between texts
   and material artefacts, such as manuscripts, stone or other
   carriers of texts

Submissions are invited for individual papers and posters, as
well as panels. Focus should be on tools and methods for the
analysis of digital data rather than on digitisation processes
themselves, both from the provider and from the user perspective.
We want to pay special attention to inspiring showcases that
demonstrate the innovative power of digital methods in the
humanities.

Some important dates:

- July 15, 2011: Submission of suggestion for panels
- July 24, 2011: Submission of abstracts (1,000-1,500 words)
- August 15, 2011: Notification on panel proposals
- September 15, 2011: Author notification
- October 15, 2011: Final version of papers for publication (8 pages).
- November 17-18: Conference in Copenhagen, Denmark

Submission of abstracts

SDH2011 uses the EasyChair conference system, accessible at
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sdh2011

You will need to log in in order to make a submission. If you
already have an EasyChair account, you have to use that one.
Otherwise you will need to create an account by signing up. To do
so, simply follow the instructions on the EasyChair website.

Guidelines for authors

Guidelines for authors are available at the conference website
http://cst.ku.dk/sdh2011/

Programme committee

- Bente Maegaard, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Steven Krauwer, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Helen Bailey, University of Bedfordshire, UK
- Tim Crawford, Goldsmith’s University of London, UK
- Matthew James Driscoll, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Neil Fraistat, University of Maryland, United States
- Erhard Hinrichs, Tübingen University, Germany
- Fotis Jannidis, Würzburg University, Germany
- Helen Katsiadakis, Academy of Athens, Greece
- Krister Lindén, Helsinki University, Finland
- Heike Neuroth, Göttingen State and University Library, Germany
- Laurent Romary, INRIA, France
- Nina Vodopivec, Institute for Contemporary History, Ljubljana,
   Slovenia
- Peter Wittenburg, MPI, Netherlands/Germany
- Martin Wynne, Oxford University, UK

Conference website: http://cst.ku.dk/sdh2011/

Contact: bmaegaard at hum dot ku dot dk