[Elsnet-list] PhD studentships available at the University of Sheffield

Fabio Ciravegna fabio at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 17:13:08 CET 2011

Dear colleagues,
a number of studentships are available at the University of Sheffield for UK, EU and non-EU candidates.  See attached.
Please feel free to pass this message to potential candidates.
I am personally interested in applications in the areas of semantic web, information extraction, and social media.
Many thanks and best wishes

Professor Fabio Ciravegna,
Director of Research & Innovation in the Digital World,
The University of Sheffield
---
Professor of Language and Knowledge Technologies,
Department of Computer Science, The University of Sheffield,
Regent Court, 211 Portobello, S1 4DP, Sheffield, UK
Tel:+44(0)114-22.21940, Fax:+44(0)114-22.21810
www: http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~fabio/

------- Available studentships -------

1. University/faculty scholarships
These awards cover fees and provide a generous bursary. They're open to UK, EU and international applicants. There are only a few available so they are *highly* competitive.  Closing date for applications is mid January.
Details can be found here,
     http://www.shef.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/scholarships/prize.html
     http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/scholarships/faculty
And there is general university research scholarship info here,
    http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/scholarships/

2. Departmental-level scholarships
We will fund 2 or 3 students with an Euro Stipends offering fees and 9k maintenance to UK/EU student; we can also award fee reduction scholarships for strong international students on a needs basis -- worth about 6.5k off the fee
These awards have quite complicated rules for eligibility, see here,    http://www.shef.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/scholarships/epsrc.html