[Elsnet-list] ACM ICMI2012 Grand Challenge BCI - Extension of deadline

Dr. Dr. Egon L. van den Broek vandenbroek at acm.org
Thu Jun 21 12:38:09 CEST 2012

Dear all,

Please note that the deadline for the Grand Challenge on Brain-Computer
Interfacing at the 14th ACM International Conference on Multimodal
Interaction (ICMI) 2012 is extended. For further information, see below.

kind regards

Where and what?
We have a call for papers for a Grand Challenge on Brain-Computer
Interfacing at the 14th ACM International Conference on Multimodal
Interaction (ICMI). This conference will take place in Santa Monica
California (USA). ICMI is the premier international forum for
multidisciplinary research on multimodal human-human and human-computer
interaction, interfaces, and system development. The conference focuses on
theoretical and empirical foundations, component technologies, and combined
multimodal processing techniques that define the field of multimodal
interaction analysis, interface design, and system development. ICMI 2012
will feature a single-track main conference which includes: keynote
speakers, technical full and short papers (including oral and poster
presentations), special sessions, demonstrations, exhibits and doctoral
spotlight papers. The conference will be followed by workshops. The
proceedings of ICMI 2012 will be published by ACM as part of their series
of International Conference Proceedings.

Call for Papers, Demonstrators and Videos:
Brain-Computer Interfaces (BCI) are traditionally conceived as a way to
control apparatus, an interface that allows you to "act on" external
devices as a form of input control. However, most BCI do not provide a
reliable and efficient means of input control and are difficult to learn
and use, when  compared with other interfaces. We propose to change the
conceptual use of "BCI as an actor" (input control) into "BCI as an
intelligent sensor" (monitor). This shift of emphasis promotes the capacity
of BCI to represent spontaneous changes in the state of the user in order
to induce intelligent behavior of systems. This conceptual change gives
rise to 3 grand challenges:

1.      Inclusion challenge: How can we make an interface profit from
user-information from different sensors? How can we include BCI as one of
the interaction paradigms in the Multimodal      Interaction Framework; how
to transfer from "Brains Only" to "Brains Also".
2.      Interpretation challenge: How can we fuse, but also disentangle and
interpret information from the user, the task and the environment?
3.      Representation challenge: How can we best feed back information to
the user?

Go for a detailed description and more sub-challenges to our website: *
http://hmi.ewi.utwente.nl/BCIGrandChallenge2012/*<http://hmi.ewi.utwente.nl/BCIGrandChallenge2012/>.

What can you send in?
We invite work on systems that (could) use BCI's as intelligent sensors.
Authors are encouraged to express their own challenges without any
constraints. The following types of contributions are welcome:

*       Papers on developed systems: please follow the template styles for
a long paper described by ICMI. Click here: *
http://www.acm.org/icmi/2012/index.php?id=authors*<http://www.acm.org/icmi/2012/index.php?id=authors>.
*       Posters or papers proposing an idea: please follow the template
styles for a short paper described by ICMI. Click here: *
http://www.acm.org/icmi/2012/index.php?id=authors*<http://www.acm.org/icmi/2012/index.php?id=authors>.
*       Demo: please follow the template styles for a short paper described
by ICMI and describe your demo. Click here: *
http://www.acm.org/icmi/2012/index.php?id=authors*<http://www.acm.org/icmi/2012/index.php?id=authors>.

Important dates:
*Extended deadline submission: June 30, 2012*
Notification of acceptance: July 14, 2012
Final paper: August 15, 2102
ICMI conference: October 22-26, 2012

Organizers:
Femke Nijboer, Mannes Poel, Anton Nijholt (University of Twente, the
Netherlands), Egon L. van den Broek TNO Technical Sciences, the
Netherlands); Stephen Fairclough (Liverpool John Moore University, United
Kingdom)

Program committee:
Robert Jacobs, Tufts University, USA
Jeremy Hill, Wadsworth Center, USA
Michael Tangerman, Berlin Institute of Technology, Germany
Fabien Lotte, INRIA, France
Thorsten Zander, Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Germany
Kiel Gilleade, Liverpool John Moore University, United Kingdom