[Elsnet-list] Job announcement: Brazilian Portuguese phonetician/linguist

Kayoko Yanagisawa kayoko.yanagisawa at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 14:50:58 CET 2012

Toshiba Research in Cambridge, England, are looking for an experienced
Brazilian Portuguese linguist/phonetician to help develop a TTS
(text-to-speech) voice in this language. This is a short-term position
for two months full-time, or four months half-time. The starting date is
as soon as possible. The person will be based in our offices in Cambridge.

The work involves different tasks: maintenance of our pronunciation
lexicon; development of a rule-set of post-lexical effects; development
of text normalisation rules (how to pronounce dates and numbers, etc);
collecting abbreviations; drawing up a list of parts-of-speech; making
data for testing our software; and others.

The successful candidate will have a good knowledge of phonetic,
phonological and grammatical processes in Brazilian Portuguese.
Preference will be given to a native Brazilian speaker. The candidate
must be computer-literate, and those with linux experience will be
preferred. Candidates must have the right to work in the U.K.

Toshiba Research is based in the Science Park in Cambridge, England, in
pleasant surroundings. We have close links with the University of
Cambridge, and enjoy a stimulating intellectual environment.

We offer a salary of £16/hour. Please submit your resume/CV by email.

Application deadline: open until filled

Email Address for Applications: art.blokland at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Contact Information:
         Dr Art Blokland
         Email: art.blokland at crl.toshiba.co.uk

NOTE: The information in this email and any attachments may be
confidential and/or legally privileged. This message may be read, copied
and used only by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient, please destroy this message, delete any copies held on your
system and notify the sender immediately.

Toshiba Research Europe Limited, registered in England and Wales (2519556).
Registered Office: 208 Cambridge Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge
CB4 0GZ, England. Web: http://www.toshiba-europe.com/research/crl