[Elsnet-list] Tenth Biennial Conference of the Association for Machine Translation in the Americas (AMTA-2102) -- CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

rasmusse rasmusse at ptd.net
Mon Sep 10 23:39:29 CEST 2012

                               AMTA-2012

                      The Tenth Biennial Conference
      of the Association for Machine Translation in the Americas

                 Catamaran Resort Hotel, San Diego, California
                     October 28 - November 1, 2012

                           CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

           Register now to save $100 or more on registration fees!
                EARLY REGISTRATION ENDS September 20, 2012
           Discounted AMTA Hotel Rate offer ends September 27, 2012

                     http://amta2012.amtaweb.org/

                MACHINE TRANSLATION IN THE AGE OF GLOBALIZATION

AMTA-2012, the tenth Biennial Conference of the Association for Machine
Translation in the Americas, will be
held at the Catamaran Resort Hotel in San Diego California, from Sunday,
October 28 through Thursday, November 1.
It will immediately follow the 53st Annual Conference of the American
Translators Association (ATA), also in
San Diego, October 24-27. Following our very successful first
collocation two years ago in Denver, AMTA is happy
to further our collaboration with the ATA.  Machine Translation
technology is becoming a broadly-adopted
technology within the commercial translation industry, and this trend
has accelerated further over the past two
years.  The two conferences have coordinated program content around
common topics of interests.  Our goal has
been to put together a conference program that can help MT researchers
and developers better understand the needs
of translators and of the commercial translation industry, as well as to
help translation professionals improve
their understanding of modern MT technology and the growing role of
advanced translation automation within the
commercial translation industry.

We have assembled an exciting, diverse, and well-rounded program. Day 1
features keynote presentations by
ATA President-Elect Caitilin Walsh and by Luis von Ahn - the well-known
research expert on crowd-sourcing and
the founder of Duolingo.  The second day of our main conference will
focus on the growing commercial adoption of
MT technology.  It will feature a keynote presentation by Don DePalma,
Founder and Chief Strategy Officer of
Common Sense Advisory - the prominant business analysis firm of the
language services industry.  Don's keynote,
titled "Trends in Adoption of MT as a Globalization Technology" will
provide an in-depth look at the factors
driving the adoption of MT technology within the industry.  This will be
followed by a plenary panel on the topic,
featuring key representatives from enterprises and service providers
that have invested in advanced MT technology.
Day 3 focuses on MT research.  It features a keynote talk by Bonnie
Dorr, Past President of the Association for
Computational Linguistics (ACL), who currently directs DARPA's main
research programs in human language technology. A second research
keynote will be presented by the leaders of this year's Johns Hopkins
Summer Workshop on Domain Adaptation for Machine Translation.

Our research program for AMTA 2012 includes a diverse slate of 18
presentations and 11 posters.  The conference
also includes exciting program tracks with several dozen presentations
about government and commercial uses of
MT in practice. And don't miss our MT Technology Showcase - our popular
exposition of MT technology exhibits and
demonstrations, which is free and open to the public.  The full program
is now available on the conference
website at:  http://amta2010.amtaweb.org/

We scheduled in-depth tutorials and workshops on special topics of
interest both before and after the main
conference. The six different tutorials cover a range of introductory
and advanced topics, such as Using MT
in Today's CAT Tools and Practical Domain Adaptation in SMT.  The three
scheduled workshops focus on advanced
topics including MT Post-Editing Technology and Practice, monolingual
methods in support of MT, and Computational
Approaches to Arabic-script-based Languages.  For full details, please
see the conference website:
http://amta2010.amtaweb.org/

We look forward to seeing you in San Diego!!

Alon Lavie
AMTA-2012 General Chair
President, Association for Machine Translation in the Americas (AMTA)