[Elsnet-list] International Symposium FC-ELT12 - Cognitive factors and ELT: explicit and implicit teaching

AS asanchez at um.es
Thu Sep 27 10:03:09 CEST 2012

International Symposium FC-ELT12

29-30 November 2012
University of Murcia, SPAIN

www.um.es/fc-lt12

______________

The 1st International Symposium on Cognitive Factors and ELT, due on 29-30
November 2012, will be hosted by the English Department from the University
of Murcia, Spain. It is organized by the research groups LACELL
(www.um.es/grupolacell), headed by Professor Aquilino Sánchez (University of
Murcia, Spain), and Language and Speech (http://www.laslab.org
<http://www.laslab.org/> ), headed by professor María del Pilar García Mayo
(University of the Basque Country, Spain),
with the collaboration of LAELA (PR: Eva Alcón, University Jaume I,
Castellón http://www.laela.uji.es) and GRAL (PR: Carmen Muñoz, University of
Barcelona
http://www.ub.edu/web/ub/es/recerca_innovacio/recerca_a_la_UB/grups/fitxa/G/
ADQULENG/index.html).

The types of contributions in the Symposium are plenary lectures, select
papers, round tables, short papers and posters (which will be displayed
during the second day of the symposium). The language of the Symposium will
be English.
The contributions to the plenary lectures, select papers and round tables
will be presented by the following experts on research into language
teaching and learning from a cognitive perspective:

Eva Alcón (University Jaume I. Castellón, Spain)
Martin Bygate (University of Lancaster, UK)
Robert M. DeKeyser (University of Maryland, USA)
María del Pilar García-Mayo (University of the Basque Country, Spain)
Jan H. Hulstjin (University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
Judit Kormos (University of Lancaster, UK)
Carmen Muñoz (University of Barcelona, Spain)
Virginia Samuda (University of Lancaster, UK)
Raquel Criado (University of Murcia, Spain)
Roger Gilabert (University of Barcelona, Spain)
Ana Pellicer (University of Notthingham, UK)
Patricia Salazar (University Jaume I. Castellón, Spain)
María del Mar Suárez (University of Barcelona, Spain)

Proposals for short papers and posters are open to any researcher interested
in the topic of the Symposium. These may be submitted up to October, 10,
2012, with notification of acceptance by November 1, 2012. Proposals may
deal with any of the following areas:

1. The Interface Issue in SLA (either the strong-, weak- and no-interface
stands) and its implications for ELT.
2. Cognitive perspectives on SLA –psycholinguistic and/or neurolinguistic-
and their applications to ELT.
3. Defining features of explicit and implicit instruction in ELT from a
cognitive perspective.
4. Managing explicit and implicit instruction in ELT from a cognitive
perspective.
5. Adjusting the explicit and implicit load of current ELT materials.
6. Explicit and implicit instruction in ELT methods.

Applications are particularly welcome in the field of ELT, but proposals
will also be accepted as related to any other foreign language or to the
general field of Foreign Language Teaching.

Our SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE includes prestigious members at both national and
international levels:

International members
Martin Bygate (University of Lancaster, UK)
Robert M. DeKeyser (University of Maryland, USA)
Jan H. Hulstjin (University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
Judit Kormos (University of Lancaster, UK)
Virginia Samuda (University of Lancaster, UK)
National members
Aquilino Sánchez (University of Murcia, Spain)
María del Pilar García-Mayo (University of the Basque Country, Spain)
Carmen Muñoz (University of Barcelona, Spain)
Eva Alcón (Jaume I University, Spain)
Raquel Criado (University of Murcia, Spain)
Rosa Manchón (University of Murcia)
Pascual Cantos (University of Murcia, Spain)
Patricia Salazar (Jaume I University, Spain)

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Chair: Aquilino Sánchez
Vice-chair: María del Pilar García-Mayo
Secretary: Raquel Criado
Webmaster Nila Vázquez
Assistant members: Gema Alcaraz
Carmen Bretones
Pascual Cantos
Lourdes Cerezo
David Lasagabaster Herrarte
María Martínez Adrián
Juan Manuel Sierra Plo
Yolanda Ruiz Zarobe

Details and information on proposals submission and registration fees are
available on the main menu. The 2nd Call for Papers will include further
details on accommodation and directions on how to arrive. We look forward to
your visit!
INFO: www.um.es/fc-lt12
Contact: fcelt12 at um.es

Aquilino Sánchez