[Elsnet-list] CFP - Workshop on Optimizing understanding in multilingual hospital encounters @ TIA 2013, Paris

Nathalie Aussenac-Gilles nathalie.aussenac-gilles at irit.fr
Fri Aug 30 13:33:46 CEST 2013

*******************Call for short papers*************************

Workshop on Optimizing understanding in multilingual hospital encounters

October 20th, 2013 - University of Paris 13, Paris (F)

http://flores.lipn.univ-paris13.fr/tia2013/Workshops_hospital.html

In conjunction with the International Conference on Terminology and Artificial
Intelligence TIA 2013
dead-line for paper submission: September 10th, 2013

In this workshop we will bring together participants who have solutions
for one or more of the following problems: How can mutual understanding
be optimized with the help of technology in hospitals where both
patients and professionals have varying language skills, cultural
backgrounds and cognitive capacities? Can domain ontologies, natural
language processing tools, multilingual knowledge-based tools,
multilingual terminology resources and other semantic technologies be
combined in order to enhance the quality of mutual understanding between
humans?

Multi-language web apps already exist that make it easier for different
health professionals to improve communication through the use of
terminology and phrases like standard questions and explanations in
multiple languages. We solicit ideas on how technology can optimize the
usability of this type of resource and of other types of resources and
on how new technologies can reuse all types of existing terminological
resources.

The aim of this workshop is to bring together researchers from several
domains, and practitioners from industry, academia and health policy
making bodies to report on recent developments, achievements, technology
trends and research results on projects concerning the optimization of
understanding in multilingual hospital encounters and the possibilities
of applying web-based technologies to this end.

What follows is a non-exhaustive list of topics of interest for this
workshop.

.One of the topics is how cloud-based technology can optimize
understanding in caretaker - caregiver communication in a variety of
hospital settings where misunderstanding might be lurking because of
incompatible language skills, cultural differences, terminology, etc. We
welcome contributions in the field of current semantic web-based
technologies, techniques and tools with the aim of reusing distributed
data on the web and exploring web- based health applications.
.We also solicit examples of service-oriented collective intelligence
and language resource interoperability. How can existing hospital
infrastructures of several kinds be designed for caregivers and for
caretakers as end users?
.A clinical pathway is a decision-tree based on clinical assessment that
guides the triage, history taking and further examination of a patient
with a particular clinical problem. We solicit examples of clinical
pathways for identifying and treating specific disorders at triage and
history taking in hospital emergency wards where caretakers and patients
do not speak the same language, in which the linguistic and cultural
background of a patient are taken into consideration.
.General-purpose machine translation tools are not reliable for the
translation of medical records. We solicit examples of the use of
machine translation tools (trained to target specific domains in
medicine?) to enhance understanding between caregivers and caretakers in
well-defined contexts.

We invite you to send a short paper (4 pages, presentation time 15 minutes)

*Organizers*

 1.

    Rita Temmerman
    Centrum voor Vaktaal en Communicatie (CVC) -- Applied Linguistics
    Vrije Universiteit Brussel
    Pleinlaan 5 B-1050 Brussel
    rita(dot)temmerman(at)vub(dot)ac(dot)be
    <mailto:rita.temmerman at vub.ac.be>

 2.

    Guadalupe Aguado De Cea
    Ontology Engineering Group
    Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
    lupe(at)fi(dot)upm(dot)es
    <http://flores.lipn.univ-paris13.fr/tia2013/lupe@fi.upm.es>

*Members of the programme committee*
.Nathalie Aussenac-Gilles (IRIT, CNRS, Toulouse, France)
.Christian Chiarcos (Universität Potsdam, Germany)
.Philippe Cimiano (CITEC Bielefeld Germany)
.Oscar Corcho (UPM, Madrid, Spain)
.Stefan Darmoni (Département d'Epidémiologie et de Santé Publique CHU
Rouen, France)
.Göran Falkman (School of Humanities and Informatics, University of
Skövde, Sweden)
.Natalia Grabar (Université de Lille 3, France)
.Asunción Goméz Peréz (OEG, Universidad Politécnica Madrid, Spain)
.Thierry Hamon (Institut Galilée Paris 13, France)
.Marie-Christine Jaulent (INSERM -- Paris, France)
.Aurélie Névéol (CNRS, France)
.Stefan Schulz (Medical University of Graz, Austria)
.Annette Ten Teije (VU Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
.Marc Van Campenhoudt (Termisti Bruxelles, Belgium)

*Important Dates*

.Paper due date: 10 September 2013
.Notification of acceptance: 30 September 2013
.Camera-ready deadline: 10 October 2013
.Workshop: 30 October 2013