[Elsnet-list] Research Scientist position at Xerox Research Centre Europe

Henderson, James james.henderson at xrce.xerox.com
Thu Feb 14 13:12:42 CET 2013

Research Scientist at Xerox Research Centre Europe

The Parsing & Semantics research area at Xerox Research Centre Europe
(XRCE) is currently looking for an experienced researcher in statistical
natural language processing (NLP), with a deep understanding of machine
learning and/or information extraction (e.g. event extraction). The
ideal candidate would also have experience or knowledge of textual
entailment, knowledge representation, and combining machine learning
with expert knowledge. The applicant should have good coding skills
(e.g. Java programming), with the ability to develop research prototypes
and pilots.

The successful candidate will be expected to identify challenging
problems, develop new solutions, and work with business and development
teams to ensure that these solutions have a significant impact. We work
together with top academic partners and expect our researchers to
publish results in top-tier conferences and journals. We also have
multiple open innovation collaborations with academic partners world-wide.

The Parsing & Semantics group concentrates on automatically making sense
of electronic documents using semantic analysis. The group focuses on
natural language processing methods for robust parsing, semantic
analysis, and information discovery, including the role of context in
determining meaning. We are particularly interested in theoretical
models of communication, language, computation, learning and inference
which take into account the context in which these activities occur. The
Parsing & Semantics group collaborates closely with the Machine Learning
for Services group and the Machine Learning for Document Access and
Translation group. We are also interested in applying research results
to practical applications and real-world problems. Our general
application focus is on converting unstructured text into structured
information. The solutions we develop are expected to play a key role in
Xerox’ next generation document and business process outsourcing
services in domains such as customer care, healthcare, and financial
services.

XRCE is located in Grenoble, France, in the heart of the French Alps.
Grenoble offers an excellent quality of life and a large scientific
community. For more information, please see http://www.xrce.xerox.com/.

Requirements:

* PhD in Computer Science or Computational Linguistics
* NLP knowledge and experience
* Knowledge or experience in machine learning or information extraction
* Object oriented programming skills (e.g. java)
* Strong written and oral communications skills in English

Application instructions:

The application deadline is March 1, 2013, but applications will be
considered beyond this date until the position is filled.

Informal inquiries can be made to James.Henderson at xrce.xerox.com or
Tonya.Love at xerox.com.
To submit an application, please send your CV and cover letter to both
xrce-candidates at xrce.xerox.com and to Tonya.Love at xerox.com. You should
also include in your CV at least three referees we can contact for
letters of recommendation.