[Elsnet-list] Book announcement: Designing the Search Experience

Tony Russell-Rose tgr at uxlabs.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 13:30:08 CET 2013

*** BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT ***

Designing the Search Experience: the Information Architecture of Discovery
by Tony Russell-Rose and Tyler Tate

Publisher: Morgan Kaufmann
ISBN: 978-0-12-396981-1
PUB DATE: December 2012
FORMAT: Paperback
PAGES: c. 302

Search is not just a box and ten blue links. Search is a journey: an
exploration where what we encounter along the way changes what we seek.
But in order to guide people along this journey, we must understand both
the art and science of search.

WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Designing the Search Experience weaves together the theories of
information seeking with the practice of user interface design. This
definitive guide will enable you to:
1. Understand how people search and how the concepts of information
seeking, information foraging, and sensemaking underpin the search process.
2. Apply the principles of user-centred design to the search box, search
results, faceted navigation, mobile interfaces, social search, and much
more.
3. Design the cross-channel search experiences of tomorrow that span
desktop, tablet, mobile, and other devices.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
SECTION 1: A FRAMEWORK FOR SEARCH & DISCOVERY
Chapter 1: The User
Chapter 2: Information Seeking
Chapter 3: Context
Chapter 4: Modes of Search & Discovery

SECTION II: DESIGN SOLUTIONS
Chapter 5: Formulating the Query
Chapter 6: Displaying and Manipulating Results
Chapter 7: Faceted Search
Chapter 8: Mobile Search
Chapter 9: Social Search

SECTION III: DESIGNING THE FUTURE
Chapter 10: Cross-Channel Information Interaction

Includes contributions from Ann Blandford, Karen Church, Rory Hamilton,
James Kalbach, Joe Lamantia, Greg Nudelman, Lou Rosenfeld, Ian Ruthven,
Daniel Tunkelang and Martin White.

In Designing the Search Experience, Tony Russell-Rose and Tyler Tate
provide a unique synthesis that integrates scholarly research and best
practice into a compelling story about how we can make search better.
Peter Morville, author of Search Patterns: Design for Discovery

"This book is not only useful for people interested in search, but for
all user experience and interface designers". Ricardo Baeza-Yates,
author of Modern Information Retrieval

For further details (and a free sample chapter) see
http://designingthesearchexperience.com/