[Elsnet-list] Senior Research Scientist - Xerox Research Centre Europe

Henderson, James james.henderson at xrce.xerox.com
Thu May 2 17:12:47 CEST 2013

Senior Research Scientist at Xerox Research Centre Europe

The Parsing & Semantics research area at Xerox Research Centre Europe
(XRCE) is
currently looking for an experienced researcher in statistical natural
language
processing (NLP), with a deep understanding of machine learning for
NLP.  The
ideal candidate would have experience or knowledge of parsing, information
extraction, weak supervision, textual entailment, and combining machine
learning with expert knowledge.  Awareness of the healthcare domain is a
plus.
The applicant should have a strong publication record and good coding
skills.
The seniority of the appointment will depend on qualifications.

The successful candidate will be expected to identify challenging problems,
develop novel solutions, and work with business and development teams to
ensure
that these solutions have a significant impact.  Senior researchers are
expected to also lead research projects.  We work together with top academic
partners and expect our researchers to publish results in top-tier
conferences
and journals.  We also have multiple open innovation collaborations with
academic partners world-wide.

The Parsing & Semantics group concentrates on automatically
understanding text
using syntactic and semantic analysis.  The group focuses on natural
language
processing methods for robust parsing, semantic analysis, and information
discovery, including the role of context in determining meaning.  We are
particularly interested in statistical models that exploit many sources of
information, such as context, corpora, domain knowledge, knowledge
bases, and
task performance.  The Parsing & Semantics group collaborates closely
with the
Machine Learning for Services group and the Machine Learning for Document
Access and Translation group.  We are also interested in applying research
results to practical applications and real-world problems.  Our general
application focus is on converting unstructured text into structured
information, including facts and opinions.  The solutions we develop
play a key
role in Xerox? next generation document and business process outsourcing
services in domains such as customer care, health care, financial
services, and
market analysis.

For more information, please see
http://www.xrce.xerox.com/About-XRCE/Career-opportunities.

Requirements:
* PhD in Computer Science or Computational Linguistics
* NLP knowledge and experience
* Machine learning knowledge or experience
* Strong publication record
* Programming skills
* Strong written and oral communications skills in English

Location:
XRCE is located in Grenoble, France, in the heart of the French Alps.
Grenoble
offers an excellent quality of life and a large scientific community.

Closing Date:
Applications will be considered as they are received.  To ensure that an
application receives full consideration it should be submitted by July 31,
2013. Applications will be considered beyond this date until the position is
filled.

Application Instructions:
Informal inquiries can be made to James.Henderson at xrce.xerox.com or
Tonya.Love at xerox.com.
To submit an application, please send your CV and cover letter to both
xrce-candidates at xrce.xerox.com and to Tonya.Love at xerox.com. You should also
include in your CV at least three referees we can contact for letters of
recommendation.