[Elsnet-list] Post-doctoral position: 3D Lip modeling

Slim Ouni Slim.Ouni at loria.fr
Fri Feb 28 13:23:35 CET 2014

Post-doctoral Fellow - INRIA - Nancy, France

Title: Accurate 3D Lip modeling and control in the context of animating a 3D talking head

The goal of this work is to develop an accurate 3D lip model that can be integrated within a talking head. A control model will also be developed. The lip model should be as accurate dynamically as possible. When designing this model, the focus will be on the dynamics. For this reason, one can start from a static 3D lip mesh, using a generic 3D lip model, and then we will use MRI images or 3D scans to obtain more realistic shape of the lips. To take into account the dynamic aspect of the lip deformation, we will use an articulograph (EMA) and motion capture technique to track sensors or markers on the lips. The mesh will be adapted to this data.
To control the lips, we will consider allowing a skeletal animation to be controlled by the EMA sensors or motion capture markers, using inverse kinematic technique, widely used in 3D modeling. In line with conventional skeletal animation, an articulated armature rigged inside the mesh is mapped to vertex groups on the lip mesh by a weight map that can be defined automatically from the envelope of the armature’s shape and manually adjusted if required, where manipulating the armature’s components deforms the surrounding mesh accordingly.
The main challenge is to find the best topology of the sensors or markers on the lips, to be able to better capture accurately its dynamics. The main outcome is to accurately model and animate the lips based on articulatory data. It is very important to have readable lips in that can be lip-read by hard-of-hearing people.

For full description and to apply, please visit this website:
http://www.inria.fr/en/institute/recruitment/offers/post-doctoral-research-fellowships/post-doctoral-research-fellowships/campaign-2014/(view)/details.html?nPostingTargetID=13906

The applications will be considered as soon as received.

Slim Ouni
University of Lorraine
Parole - Inria Nancy -Grand Est