[Elsnet-list] Experienced researcher position in the EXPERT project
C.Orasan at wlv.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 23:29:08 CET 2014
[apologies for cross-posting]
Pangeanic BI-Europe (www.pangeanic.com) is looking for a post-doctoral researcher (Experienced Researcher - ER) to carry out research work on the implementation and evaluation (including user aspects) of the improved SMT, EBMT and TM prototypes proposed in EXPERT project (http://expert-itn.eu/) and particularly, how these can be applied to its PangeaMT platform.
The ER will complement the work of a group of ESRs (Early Stage Researcher - ESR) with humanities background in the implementation and evaluation (including user aspects) of the improved prototypes proposed in EXPERT.
The contract offered has a duration of 18 months.
* Improved and fully functional hybrid MT models that make use of TM matching and retrieval techniques investigated in EXPERT project.
* Comprehensive analysis of the suitability of these approaches in industrial application scenarios.
* User-centred evaluation of improved hybrid prototypes.
* Illustrate the benefits brought by the EXPERT technologies in real life scenarios.
To reach these objectives, the following tasks and methodology should be taken into account:
* Implement hybrid MT models relying on TM, SMT, RBMT and other tools, and resolve practical challenges.
* Evaluate the suitability of these approaches in industrial application scenarios and with professional translators.
* Measure the improvement in performance provided by EXPERT technologies over baseline models.
* 1-month stay to the University of Saarland to study the prototypes for improved individual translation tools and the ideal infrastructure for translation proposed in EXPERT and interact with one of the ESRs.
* 1-month stay to Dublin City University (DCU) to study the prototypes for improved individual translation tools and the ideal infrastructure for translation proposed in EXPERT and interact with one of the ESRs.
* 1-month stay at iTrad, an Argentinean translation company to evaluate the prototypes developed together with one of the ERs.
* Improved Hybrid prototypes.
* Final evaluation of these prototypes.
* Scientific papers: A minimum of two scientific papers to be published at major conferences and/or relevant journals.
* Comparative evaluation showing the improvement brought by EXPERT technologies over other existing systems.
* Analysis of their suitability in industrial application scenarios.
* Demonstration of prototypes to the community in the project Business Showcase.
* Contribution to a training course held as part of the project Business Showcase event, and to hands-on training for the use of the new tools developed in EXPERT project, as well as on general post-editing of automatic translation.
We are looking for an open-minded person that loves programming and is focused on quality and performance:
* Master or doctorate in IT, computer engineering or mathematics with a strong interest in NLP and willing to help the translation industry.
* World-class programming skills.
* In-depth knowledge of the state-of-the-art algorithms and methods related to data retrieving, data mining and string manipulation.
* Knowledge of MT systems, preferably SMT and RBMT.
* Knowledge of machine learning and typical NLP languages, such as Python and/or Perl.
* Knowledge of translation memory systems and matching & retrieval algorithms and segmentation.
* Knowledge of Linux-based server environment.
* Availability to work in an international environment.
* Good relationship and communication skills.
All suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender or nationality are welcome to apply as long as the following conditions are fulfilled:
* Applicants should be in possession of a doctoral degree (preferably) or have at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience. At the time of recruitment, the applicant should have less than five years of full-time equivalent research experience (including the duration of the PhD).
* Applicants should have good knowledge of English, both written and oral, in order to be able to submit reports in English.
* Applicants should (preferably) have basic command of the Spanish language.
* Applicants should not have resided or performed their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3-year period immediately prior to the start date. Candidates of Spanish nationality should not have resided or performed their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 5-year period immediately prior to the start date.
The fellowship will be available from 1st February 2015 on, and the position can be filled anytime from that date on (at the latest 31st March 2015).
Annual salary: 57,154 Euros (Marie Curie rates will apply).
Monthly mobility allowance: 683.90 Euros for ER without a family, or 977 Euros for ER with a family (Marie Curie rates will apply).
How to apply: send an e-mail to m.herranz at pangeanic.com, specifying on the subject line EXPERT project ER 2015.
Closing date: 31st December 2014
The position is part of the project EXPERT (EXPloiting Empirical appRoaches to Translation), a Marie Curie Initial Training Network (ITN), which aims to train young researchers, namely Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) and Experienced Researchers (ERs), to promote the research, development and use of hybrid language translation technologies.
More information on the project and its objectives can be found at the following URL: http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3
Pangeanic is an innovation-driven, private machine translation (MT), software translation, post-editing and localization company which falls within the small and medium enterprise (SME) category. It provides cutting-edge MT services ranging from customized machine-translation developments, translation of Big Data, online translation of customer reviews and background MT for gisting, to machine-translation systems built for in-house use where data privacy is paramount, e.g. sensitive material, intelligence, etc. The company also offers multilingual processing technology consultancy and training. Pangeanic has a team of 8 translation consultants and development experts with long experience in the R&D of multilingual, automated, translation technologies, language development and its deployment in production environments, as well as 2 senior software developers focusing on scalable, web-service based machine translation architectures, user interfaces and deployment experiences.
Dr. Constantin Orasan, PhD <C.Orasan at wlv.ac.uk>
Reader in Computational Linguistics
Coordinator of EXPERT project
Research Group in Computational Linguistics
University of Wolverhampton, UK
Scanned by iCritical.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Elsnet-list