[Elsnet-list] Experienced Researcher position in the EXPERT project at Hermes
C.Orasan at wlv.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 00:18:21 CET 2014
[apologies for cross-posting]
Hermes Traducciones (www.hermestrans.com<http://www.hermestrans.com>) is looking for a post-doctoral researcher (Experienced Researcher - ER) to investigate on the implementation and evaluation (including user aspects) of the improved SMT, EBMT and TM prototypes proposed in EXPERT project (http<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>://<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>expert<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>-<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>itn<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>.<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>eu<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>).
The ER will complement the work of a group of ESRs (Early Stage Researcher - ESR) with humanities background in the implementation and evaluation (including user aspects) of the improved SMT, EBMT and TM prototypes proposed in EXPERT.
The contract offered has a duration of 18 months.
● Improved and fully functional corpus-based MT models including TM, SMT and EBMT that make use of the matching and retrieval techniques investigated in EXPERT project.
● Comprehensive analysis of the suitability of these approaches in industrial application scenarios.
● User-centred evaluation of improved SMT, EBMT and TM prototypes.
● Illustrate the benefits brought by the EXPERT technologies in real life scenarios.
To reach these objectives, the following tasks and methodology should be taken into account:
● Implement the corpus-based MT models relying on TM, SMT, EBMT, and resolve practical challenges.
● Incorporate the NLP-modules for improved matching and retrieval techniques developed by two ESRs of the project.
● Evaluate the suitability of these approaches in industrial application scenarios and with professional translators.
● Measure the improvement in performance provided by EXPERT technologies over baseline TM, SMT and EBMT models.
● 2-month visit to University of Dublin City to study the prototypes for improved individual translation tools and the ideal infrastructure for translation proposed in EXPERT and interact with one of the ESRs.
● 1-month visit to another translation company to evaluate the prototypes developed together with one of the ERs.
● Improved SMT, EBMT and TM prototypes.
● Final evaluation of these prototypes.
● Scientific papers: A minimum of two scientific papers will be published at major conferences and/or relevant journals.
● Comparative evaluation showing the improvement brought by EXPERT technologies over other existing systems.
● Analysis of their suitability in industrial application scenarios.
● Demonstration of prototypes to the community in the project Business Showcase.
● Contribution to a training course held as part of the project Business Showcase event, and to hands-on training for the use of the new tools developed in EXPERT project, as well as on general post-editing of automatic translation.
We are looking for an open-minded person that loves programming and is focused on quality and performance.
● Master or doctorate in IT, computer engineering or mathematics.
● World-class programming skills.
● In-depth knowledge of the state-of-the-art algorithms and methods related to data retrieving, data mining and string manipulation.
● Knowledge of MT systems, preferably SMT and EBMT.
● Knowledge of machine learning and typical NLP languages, such as Python and/or Perl.
● Knowledge of translation memory systems and matching & retrieval algorithms and segmentation.
● Knowledge of Linux-based server environment.
● Availability to work in an international environment.
● Good relationship and communication skills.
All suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender or nationality are welcome to apply as long as the following conditions are fulfilled:
● Applicants should be in possession of a doctoral degree (preferably) or have at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience. At the time of recruitment, the applicant should have less than five years of full-time equivalent research experience (including the duration of the PhD).
● Applicants should have good knowledge of English, both written and oral, in order to be able to submit reports in English.
● Applicants should (preferably) have basic command of Spanish language.
● Applicants should not have resided or performed their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3-year period immediately prior to the start date. Candidates of Spanish nationality should not have resided or performed their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 5-year period immediately prior to the start date.
The fellowship will be available from 1st February 2015 on, and the position can be filled anytime from that date on (at the latest 31st March 2015).
Annual salary: 57,154 Euros (Marie Curie rates will apply).
Monthly mobility allowance: 683.90 Euros for ER without a family, or 977 Euros for ER with a family (Marie Curie rates will apply).
How to apply: send an e-mail to juanjo.arevalillo at hermestrans.com<mailto:juanjo.arevalillo at hermestrans.com>, specifying on the subject line EXPERT project ER 2015.
Closing date: 31st December 2014
The position is part of the project EXPERT (EXPloiting Empirical appRoaches to Translation), a Marie Curie Initial Training Network (ITN), which aims to train young researchers, namely Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) and Experienced Researchers (ERs), to promote the research, development and use of hybrid language translation technologies.
More information on the project and its objectives can be found at the following URL: http<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>://<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>expert<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>-<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>itn<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>.<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>eu<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>/?<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>q<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>=<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>node<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>/3<http://expert-itn.eu/?q=node/3>
Hermes Traducciones and Servicios Lingüísticos, SL is a Spanish privately-owned company founded in 1991 and specializing in translation and localization. Our company counts on a solid reputation in translation industry and we are ranked in 153th position in the world’s industry listing according to Common Sense Advisory’s The Language Services Market – 2013 report. In this report we are at 15th position in Southern Europe companies, and in 9th position in Spain.
Our solid position in the industry relies on different approaches and characteristics which differentiate our company from others in this industry, namely:
● We are double-certified to European Quality Standard for Translation Services EN‑15038 and ISO‑9011.
● We use a proprietary performance control system (SGR), which in combination with our Plunet-based translation management system allows us to check more than 150 process indicators and metrics to analyze any aspect of our company’s performance.
● We are the only Spanish company having Fundéu’s language quality certification thanks to the quality of our website in Spanish. Fundéu is a foundation which aims at improving the use of Spanish in the media.
● We are the only Spanish company which co-operates with Fundéu and Royal Spanish Academy of Language through their own foundations.
● We base our production on our in-house teams: 70% of our production in Spanish is done by our employees.
● We have been a company implementing state-of-the-art technology applied to translation since the very beginning, and always listening to any advances in the deployment of the last technologies and programs.
● We participate in many research activities in connection with Spanish universities and in European Union-funded projects in the field of translation and training, such as Optimale, TransCert, Expert or Agorà.
● We keep a continuous training plan for our employees according to their improvement needs, which allows us to gradually develop professional careers from trainees to project managers always in‑house.
● We keep a program of internships with different universities so that the new graduates in Translation can learn real-life activities and tasks of translation working in house. Even some of our employees give regular lectures in academic graduation and post-graduation studies. In fact, we are a reference in Spanish academic translation community. Our Managing Director is the academic director of a 300-hour post-graduation course on localization, applied technology and audio-visual translation in Alfonso X University (Madrid).
● We are members of Spanish Technical Committee for Translation Services at AENOR (the Spanish standardization body), working on all the translation-related quality standards done or under development. Our Managing Director is the Chairman of this Committee.
Dr. Constantin Orasan, PhD <C.Orasan at wlv.ac.uk>
Reader in Computational Linguistics
Coordinator of the EXPERT project
Research Group in Computational Linguistics
University of Wolverhampton, UK
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Elsnet-list